I want a handgun that is the best for the best price

eaglesflame, give folks here a little more to go on, and they'll be glad to help. Intended use, how you'll carry the firearm, your prior experience with firearms, etc.

Eaglesflame,
Baring any more information about what you want to use the pistol for, I would say that you would not go wrong by choosing something from the Ruger line. I own both the P89, and the P95, and they both fine guns. Rugers are tough as nails, and will digest anything that you might care to feed it (as long as it is 9mm luger) :) Even though I have graduated to Walthers, Rugers make a fine "first gun" :)
Just as an aside, if you have never fired a handgun before, I would suggest getting a Ruger MK2 chambered in .22 long rifle. It will be much easier to learn to shoot with, and cheaper too!!!!! :)

I have done alot of shooting in my past. I want a pistol that is accurate and somewhat lite. I will be using it for plinking and home defence.

if you want an accurate pistol for plinking go with a ruger mkII or colt target in .22cal. as for home defense (this will get some people going) do not even waste your time looking for a pistol for that end. go buy a pump shotgun (your choice). trying to fumble in the dark for your handgun is futile (especially if you are not fully awake) where as grabbing your s/gun and racking the action says it all. and do not forget to have a reliable flashlight handy too. if you cannot identify your target(assailant) and you shoot, you could very well have problems (i thought i saw) doesn't cut it in a situation where deadly force is used.
my $0.02

Best buy for the $$ is going to depend largely on the caliber that you want to use. To me, that is the starting point of any discussion on handguns. Once you settle on that, I think you will be able to get some solid advice from the board.

For my part, I believe that the best value on the market today is the CZ75B in 9mm. Proven cartridge, outstanding design and manufacturing by the company, and they can be had for under $400.

But, like I said, you'll need to come up with a "caliber of choice" first. And if home defense is the primary objectice, then I concur with the pump shotgun advice. The sound of a racking slide is generally followed very closely by the sound of racing footsteps, headed in the OTHER direction!

I'm not sure what you mean by "better". There are quite a few pistols that I would consider better, for a lot more $$$. As far as value, you would have a hard time finding a better gun for the price of the Ruger pistols. Reliable, reasonably accurate, and as sturdy as a brick outhouse(and almost as good looking).

For a pistol in 9mm, I'm in complete agreement with Mr. Locke. IMO, there is no better value, considering quality and price, than the CZ75B in 9mm. Craftsmanship is top notch, reliable, accurate and very enjoyable to shoot. I got a brand new CZ75B a few months back for $300 w/one 10mag and one hi-cap mag, but I think the price has crept up to $330 around here now. Good luck in your search........Dan in GA

CZ-75B is the best. It's worth every cent
of it. I'm still amazed at the level of refinement this pistol demonstrates, considering that it's a mass produced product.

I would like to add that ANY handgun that you have with you when you need it is FAR better than something sitting in a display case somewhere else.

Hey, where are all the Glock guys? Ok, I'll fill in. G19 if you can find one. If you can spring the coin, check out the STI in .40sw or 9mm. They won't cost you an arm and a leg if you do not reload and lots of 9mm out there. $9.00 for 50 vs $14.00 for .45. High capacity mags are still out there for the glock for anywhere from $65-$100 dollars and you can use the G17 mags as well.

I own both the Ruger that you mentioned and the CZ75. Hands down winner, CZ75. And not because there's anything wrong with the Ruger--it's a great gun for the price...reliable, durable, easy to breakdown and clean (AND reassemble), accurate. BUT the CZ is in a class by itself when it comes to overall value for the money. Great grip, superior accuracy, and a precision made gun... BUY TWO!

I have a thing for the Beretta Cougar series. Have one in .40 and .45 I don't have the 9mm yet. I was looking at one yesterday though. I personaly like the feel of them and they seem to shoot well for me. I have had no problems with misfeeds or jams.
I also just purchased a 9mm Walther P5 and it seems to be a very well built piece for the money. Haven't had time to get it to the range yet though. They are suppose to be super accurate. For what its worth.

------------------
Help Stamp Out Gun Ignorance.

Ruger P95 There is no better gun on the market for the price. You can get the stainless steel 9mm for $279.00 about any where in my area.Walmart sells winchester 9mm hardball for $6.95 a box for practice and plinking. This is one tough gun. Just my humble opinion.

------------------

walker

Well for plinking and home defense????? Let me see a .22 is out of the question and a 44 magnum is too much for either chore.

If you want a wheel gun, then the Ruger GP-100 in stainless is a heck of a tough gun and the price is right.

If you want a semi-auto, the a 9mm would be my first place to start. Sigs are good but are pricey, H&K the same thing. Glocks are a little cheaper, but I personally do not like them (Okay Glock guys/gals this is only my opinion, they are good weapons, but I just dont like them).

Smith and Wesson are nice weapons but can be a bit over priced.

Colts well..... I dont want to go there at this time.

That leave Ruger. Ruger P-93 in 9mm with the decocker. This is a great gun if you can find one. There are lots of p-89 and other in the P-series but the 93 seems to be the hardest to find. The P-93 is the compact stainless 9mm, and I use the word compact because Ruger does. It is still quite a large weapon. If I were looking for an all around home defense and sometime plinker, the P-93 would be my first choice.

Happy searching.

Judge Blackhawk

The CZ75B is hard to beat for the price. Some of the clones are Ok also. CZs were $299 and the clones for $259 at the last gun show here in Ga. All with hi-cap mags.

Back