I wanna start shooting competively?

adrake86

Inactive
I don't know if this is the right section or even the right forum but any help would be greatly appreciated.

I want to start shooting competitively as a hobby. I am a police officer and it would greatly benefit me to shoot more than I do now.

I live in Georgia, USA and have no idea how to get started on this.

If anyone could help me...suggest where to go...who to talk to...I'm sorry if this is the wrong section.

Thanks!

Question #1 would be. What firearm would you like to use? Rifle ,Pistol or Shotgun?
There is a group that could offer different styles of competition with each type firearm.

I shoot IDPA
www.idpa.com
know a lot of folks in IPSC/USPSA
www.uspsa.org

There are club finders on those sites. These are action shooting sports with a lot of movement and variety.

NRA now runs PPC which the FBI started in the 1930s.
http://www.nrahq.org/law/
It isn't as flashy as IDPA or IPSC but it is police-only and may get you training credits from your agency.

If you carry a Glock (70% of the law enforcement market), there is GSSF:
http://gssfonline.com/

Go to IDPA's website, search for clubs in your area. You can do the same at USPSA's site as well. I to am a police officer and I chose to shoot IDPA due to the fact it is more self deffense related. I enjoy shooting it even though some of the rules are bassackwards, but that's a different topic all together. IDPA promotes use of cover, threat and non-threat targets, and shooting on the move. Stuff you should be familar with. USPSA is more of a run and gun sport. It is very fun, but I like the IDPA better myself.

there is no "vs"

I prefer USPSA for its lack of "tell you how"; www.uspsa.org and use the Club Finder.

You can shoot USPSA like you've been trained (except you won't "win"; BFD).

You can shoot USPSA like you've been trained (except you won't "win"; BFD).

I think you hit on it for a LE officer wanting to improve his abilities. Shoot what you carry. But I believe you will WIN. Not the match, but you win the chance to better protect yourself on the job.

Same with ICORE if you use a service revolver on the job. Why shoot with a Model 625 comp gun with full moon clips when you have to carry a Model 28 with Speed loaders as a service revolver.

I'm long retired, but for old time sake I shoot ICORE with a Model 64 and the duty gear I carried when I was on the job. (Except I had to get a longer belt, seems my wife washed my duty belt in hot water and it dosn't fit any more).

If I was still a working cop, I wouldn't shoot any pistol matches unless I was shooting my service revolver/pistol.

I OH SO agree

I actively recruit street officers (okay, include FBI and BP and Air Marshals as well, and maybe a few special types) to come play, even though virtually all, once soundly crushed by civilians including young boys and girls, never-ever come back.
But some do.
And they increase their safety skills and gun-handling skills and even their shooting and decision-making skills.

They do win. And history suggests they survive more often. Good.

Their are a bunch of really good pistol and 3 gun shooters in Georgia! The Noveske shooting team comes to mind, the AMU, Joe Satterfield and Jeff Cramblitt. Jump on uspsa.com, idpa, icore, NRA, 3 gun nation and have a looks. The Brian enos forum has a bunch of competitive shooting match announcements too

Back