I visited the Oshman's that was robbed by the Texas Seven Minus One today.....

Will Beararms

Sad deal: the store was literally cleaned out of handguns. They only pistols left were as follows: Llama .45 ACP, Bersa .380, S&W Sigma .380 and a Beretta Bobcat .22LR. Those criminals were anything but stupid or misinformed.

Word is that Marrilyn Oshman, the heir to Oshman's is very pro second and will continue to sell firearms. God bless her, the Hawkins family and all that were connected to this tragedy.

Sad story indeed; we wish the best for all the families involved in this stupid endeavor.

Respectfully,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Hey Will,

The last time I was in that Oshmans, Irving was keeping one of their on-duty there during business hours ... did you happen to see one in the store? I don't shop there that often but did go in a couple of weeks ago just to pay my respects and have a look around. Their choice in handguns has never been extensive, but you are correct ... they're down to a bare-bones choice for now.

I have noticed that the Academy Sporting Goods in Dallas off of Forest and Central has been maintaining a policeman in their store since the robbery. I found it very interesting since there is so little likelihood that if the same type of situation occurred again, one guard or policeman still won't be enough. It is good PR for the stores, however.

Academy Sports doesn't need one of our finest guarding their stores - the cowards don't carry any handguns! I try to frequent Oshmans when I can.

I too am a semi-frequent visitor to that ill-fated Oshman's. But I've never bought anything there because the prices are way too high. Bachman Guns, just a few miles to the east in Dallas, has the best prices I've found in this area, and they pay the most for trade-ins.

One example: That Oshman's carries the Walther PPK/S .380 in stainless for $529. Bachman regularly runs it on sale for $399. Their regular price is $429.

I feel very bad about what happened at that store, but they're going to have to dramatically reduce prices if they expect to compete for handgun business from knowledgeable consumers.

DPS: I did not see a UNIFORMED Officer in service but that's not to say there wasn't an Officer in the store in full dress or incognito.

The amazing thing is that there was no more collateral damage to civillians as this area is always heavily populated with shoppers and traffic.

Yes, Oshman's is high but they will dicker if you ask. I give a lot of business to B&S Guns in Mesquite, some to Bachman and I try to Support Oshman's when I can since they are not trying to be PC.

While in the Dallas area (Mesquite) one should check out Ammo Depot. The best service overall I've had. I got my Steyr Scout the same day I ordered it :-) They went and picked it up from over 30 miles away as I needed to get back to Nacogdoches which is 3 hours away! Plus I got the best price around. They are located on Old London Road off of Scyene ~ a mile west of 635.
Bob
p.s. I have recieved excellent trades also.

My favorite store in Dallas is Ray's Hardware and Sporting Goods. It's been in the same location for over 50 years.

Great selection. They even have a couple of double rifles IN STOCK! I have bought several guns from them and their service is top notch. You have to watch your prices though. They can be a little high sometimes.

- Anthony

Do the employees at Oshman's carry on the job? Were they when they were robbed?
Not that it would make much difference vs 6 attacking by suprise.

rmf33:

I have a good friend that is a former customer and involved in the management of a Motor Home Manufacturing facility in Nacogdoches. I also have a friend there that owns a Machine shop with his son. The California Grill is one of the best resturants I have ever eaten in and so is that little Cafe behind the bank in Downtown Nacogdoches.

Your signature is a favorite quote of my friend who works at the place where they manufacture Motorhomes of Distinction. He is an avid shooter and reloader selling his wares at area gun shows.

Ray's in Dallas has old Colts 1911's, Detective Specials and many other weapons that are NEW IN THE BOX. It's incredible to see these treasures.

Will Beararms,
Hi, I just saw your post this evening.....been way busy here. Your'e right of course; Ray's is GREAT! I have a badge
that was made by a friend with that piece of advice :). It portrays a cross-eyed deer wearing a crown with one of his antlers broken & tied back on to the stump. Will have to check the grill out :)
Bob
p.s. Ray's has those ca. 60s WW1 commemorative1911's...still!

Actually, I used to see that printed as "Illegitimi non carborundum sunt" Which is supposed to roughly translate to "Don't let the bastards grind you down". Now, whether the "sunt" is really required or not is beyond my knowledge of latin, any college latin students out there? Anyway it's the THOUGHT that counts!!

Don in Ohio

Back