I took my son to his first MG shoot today

News Shooter

Had a great time. He got to shoot an Uzi. But naturally, the experience generated several questions I can't answer with certainty. Is the answer to the question why are MGs so expensive simply because civilians can't buy any made after 1986 and the old ones have dried up? Is there another part of the answer?

He also asked what the purpose of a Glock automatic was besides having fun.
Does it really have any law enforcement or military use? I've never even seen it in a movie.

THanks

To the lawful young shooting a MG brings forth a great feeling of power. We older ones love the noise, the target disintegrating and being to do legally what so many others are denied. Our Jeff Cooper says MGs are not the best personal protection but I differ in opinion though he is much more knowledged than I.

Big brother doesn't want the general population to possess MGs and has put many bars between us and actual possession, generally the extreme cost, red tape and so forth.

When the second amendment was written there were no automatic weapons and I feel that lawful citizens have the right but Big Brother differs and thus
most will never fire an MG. Too bad!

One of the things I love more than shooting a MG myself is allowing a new young shooter to fire a MG for the first time. To see the big goofy ear to ear grin they always walk away with is well worth the cost of a belt or a couple mags of ammo to me...

To answer your questions:

1. You are correct as to the reason for the prices. In 1986 Congress prohibited the further manufacture and registration of MG transferable to civilians. As more and more people find out that an individual could legally own a MG through the 1990's via the internet, prices skyrocketed. Simple supply and demand - and where the supply is fixed (and actually ever decreasing due to broken, lost, and improperly transfered weapons) and the demand is increasing, prices are destined to continue the upward trend.

2. The G18. I doubt any law enforcement agency uses the G18 and almost certain no military does. It could play an effective role for an executive protection detail where concealability and firepower are primary concerns. Granted, with its hi RoF its not as controllable as say an MP5 or a Colt 635, but it can certainly be effective to quickly stop an attacker at close range and lay down some covering fire.

Is the answer to the question why are MGs so expensive simply because civilians can't buy any made after 1986 and the old ones have dried up?
That's it. Strictly scarcity; a matter of supply and demand. People talk about the paperwork and red-tape and the like but that part of it's not nearly so bad as some would have you believe.

And the reason that you never see a Glock 18 in movies is because it doesn't LOOK cool.

One of the big city PDs in my great state carry the G18 - I dont remeber which one but our firearms instructor is envious.

Also the G18 does show up in movies occasionally. Marin Lawrence carried one in National Security.....and I believe if you watch Bad Boys II there are is a G18 showing.

Follow up question

At this MG shoot there must have been 40 or 50 full autos. I'm not an expert, but my son said many of them were recent vintage, post 1986. Obviously, there must be exceptions. What are they?
Thanks

If a Dealer possess the proper license, he may, upon written request of a entity capable of possessing NFA weapons manufactured after 1986, obtain examples for the prospective sale. These weapons are then his for the purpose of demonstration. If he voluntarily releases his MG Dealer's license, he must transfer them to an active MG Dealer.

Also, many Class III dealers also get a manufacturer's license allowing them to build machine guns, usually from part sets. They are not transferrable to civilians.

Back