I Took a Beautiful "Cougar" Home.........

Old No7

I Took a Beautiful "Cougar" Home the other day.........

Luckily, it wasn't a large feline -- or the female human variety either... ;)

But she is rather pretty!

I used to have a nice T/C Hawken but sold it off when a shooter at the club made me one of those "can't refuse" offers. I wasn't shooting it much and figured I could always get another one, but after awhile I really wasn't fond of the shiny brass. I missed having a sidelock in my safe, so I recently I went on the hunt for a decent T/C Renegade in .50 cal, figuring the all-blue hardware would better appeal to me. But what I found instead was the "Cougar" version of T/C's Hawken -- the limited edition model from the late 80'/early 90's made with brushed stainless steel hardware (which looks like pewter) and a "drop dead gorgeous" piece of walnut burl that spoke to me saying "Take Me Home!"

So I did!!!

Best part was, no outlay of cash was needed, as I traded an old revolver that I wasn't shooting anymore.

Gosh I'm loving the wood on this one! And I like the "French Gray" color of the hardware too.

RoG2eyz.jpg

I added one of T/C's rare Hunting Tang Sights on the tang and removed the stock rear sight; now I just need to add some plug screws to the barrel and get a Treso Ampco Bronze nipple (which I use on all my blackpowder guns) and then I'll take her out to the range.

I sure hope she shoots as well as she looks!

Old No7

3arYVXS.jpg

s5nGMKn.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice !!!

Many TC models came out with some exceptional wood. Then again, some didn't. It was just hit and miss, on the Burl, Butt and Crotch. Yours is very nice. When you get a chance, let us know the condition of the bore & crown. You have a good eye !!! … ;)

Be Safe !!!

I picked up a TC Cougar at a local pawnshop and it, too, has very nice wood. The wood is not quite as attractive as yours, but I was pleased after I cleaned it up.
XFB14g.jpg

shEsk0.jpg

It was surprising to see how capable T.C. was in making a fine rifle.
Ron

Another beauty !!!

It was surprising to see how capable T.C. was in making a fine rifle.
Ron

Most of the "vintage" TC-SideLocks have very good locks and barrels. On top of that, you have one with gorgeous wood. Many of the fancier woods had some minor blemishes and imperfections. Easy to live with when you have beautiful grain. …… :)

Be Safe !!!

Back