I think the mayor has nothing to do !

Actually, I think that mayor is making sense, or would be in my part of the country. There are plenty of new gun owners around here; I'm one of them. :-) Some of those new owners are buying a gun, taking a CCW class, and then telling themselves that they're finished rather than getting any actual training with the gun. That's nutty for people with no previous experience with guns and no idea how to handle themselves in a self defense situation.

Granted, someone who has owned guns for years, shoots regularly at the range, and for some reason just wasn't carrying concealed might not need all the training a neophyte does. But I think you're assuming all Idahoans know guns. I'm not from Idaho, but I bet there are plenty of new owners there too.

I think it's a wonderful idea. Education has a way of dispelling prejudices, and shooting as a group encourages a sense of solidarity and kinship among a group of people.

Actually, I've always thought it'd be a great thing for corporations to do.

My manager asked us for suggestions for a company picnic. I suggested a trip to the range with the appleseed project
http://www.appleseedinfo.org/
I explained what the appleseed project was.
He looked at me funny and ignored me for the rest of the day.

Of course this was in California...

If it introduces anyone new to shooting it's a positive in my mind. As long as it's not a mandatory thing intended as a start toward compulsory training in order to own a gun why not go for it - but only on a voluntary basis.

Back