I think I'm an addict . . . .

Prof Young

Was at big box sporting goods store. Found some 22LR ammo for less than seven cents a round. Bought 1000 rounds. Took it home and added it to the nearly 20K rounds already in the ammo closet . . . yikes!

Life is good.
Prof Young

You need to shoot more! Prepper me loves to open the safe and various other stash spots and see ammo, but the other me loves range time.

Well, there's this old joke:

After the financial collapse of everything two city folk show up at a chicken farm one day.

"I foresaw the economic collapse," says the first guy, "and I invested in gold coins."

The chicken farmer nods and says, "Okay, how many gold coins are you going to give me for a chicken?"

The first guy sputters in indignation and walks away.

The second guy says "I foresaw the economic collapse and I invested in ammunition."

The chicken farmer nods and says, "Okay, how many chickens do you want for a box of ammo?"

DaleA said:
The chicken farmer nods and says, "Okay, how many chickens do you want for a box of ammo?"

I anticipated a darker punchline.

Prof Young said:
Took it home and added it to the nearly 20K rounds already in the ammo closet . . . yikes!

Some would say that's a good start.

I can remember having been down to my last 20,000 rounds. Clinton was president and I resolved to not let that happen again.

My brother had a nephew who broke into his closet and stole about that amount of 22 LR.

22 LR is enjoyable to shoot and you can never have too much.

I guess I'm behind the curve as I'm not sure if I even have 10K rounds of .22 LR, but then again I don't shoot very much rimfire. I did find a smoking deal on some a few weeks ago though. I was in a gun shop that I visit infrequently (it's a bit out of my way, so I kind of forget its there) as was perusing through some old boxes of ammunition that they had marked down to try to move. I found a Remington 12 gauge box that someone had crossed out "12 GA" and written ".22" with a sharpie for $20. Inside was 12 full 50-round boxes of Remington Yellow Jacket 33 gr hollow points with old, faded price tags from a store called "Mr Wiggs" for $1.99/box. While Remington has never been my preferred brand of .22's, for roughly $0.03 per round I'm pretty happy :D

I would own more 22LR except there is never anyone at the ammo counter at the local Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart has the best prices near me. I've asked for help at the ammo counter and nobody seems to know who has the key to the ammo case.

Sounds like my Walmart. Be careful--you'll be lucky if they even know what a bullet is most times and can inadvertently hand you 22WSM, WMR etc. Once you go out the door witth it they will never accept any exchange or refund.

I buy 22lr by the 500 round brick. I have no reason to buy more. When we go through the box of 500, I buy more.
We’re currently using up a 500 round box of REM TBolts. We will go through a couple bricks each year.

5whiskey said:
I also don't hoard .22 over a basic stash of a few thousand rounds. I just replenish what is shot.

I'm like someone who has experienced famine and thinks a big fat gut is a sign of happiness and security.

Back