I think I saw it here...

• Thread starter Thread starter TR
  • Start date Start date

TR

Ok, I'm looking for the thread that someone had written about taking the page from thier employers handbook that stated "no firearms allowed on company property" and writing a legal document that stated they had the right to sue the employer if something happend on the employers premisis. This person also presented it to the HR attorney ... Anyone know how to find that thread? Or am I thinking of another board?

TR...

Yes I believe it's some place in legal (if not in gen'l). Don't recall how long ago.
Thats the best I can do without a search function. You'll have to manually scan.

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

I think I might have posted that although I can't remember where and when.
As I recall, I read about this case in one of the NRA magazines (probably American Guardian). It involved a woman whose employer had recently adopted a "no-gun on company property" policy.
I believe that she was also a CCW holder.
In any event, she went to her company's legal department, discussed her concerns with them and had them draw up a document that essentially stated that she or her survivors would hold the employer legally responsible if she suffered injury or death because of their new policy that prevented her from legally defending herself.
I don't know if putting her employer on notice like that had any effect.
If you want to follow this up, you might want to contact the NRA and see if they can provide you with any additional info.

Karanas,

That doesn't solve the problem, it just re-enforces it. The point of CCW is to stay alive. The "yes, we know policy puts you at risk" acknowledgement letter does not let her carry, it affirms that "we'd rather have you disarmed and dead than armed and alive."

ctdonath,
I agree. I don't believe any change in company policy was effected by drawing up this document. Short of quitting her job in protest (which her employer would probably welcome - getting rid of a troublemaker) she probably couldn't see any other options.
I believe that company policies like this are born out of a fear of litigation if one employee should go "postal" and kill or injure anyone. The bottom line being an expense to the employer.
Instead of a document that puts the company on notice that you will sue if you get hurt, perhaps some kind of legal action that forces them to upgrade (spend more) their current employee protective measures might be more effective, if you could do it without getting fired.
If I remember correctly, the document that this woman filed with her employer covered any death or injury that occurred as a result of being disarmed not only at the company location but also at any point in transit between her home and the job.
Their policy forced her to leave her gun home. So she was defenseless from the time she left home until she returned to it again.
If employers could be forced to provide bodyguards to those employees their policies leave defenseless they might have some second thoughts.

Back