I think I just bought my third rifle this week

Doc Hoy

Remington Rolling Block on the Gunbroker. Started out as an Egyptian contract rifle, rebarreled to 45-70 and cut to carbine length.

According to the vendor, the Douglas barrel is a very recent conversion to this rifle.

It is a vendor in western Virginia and I may go out and pick it up rather than having it shipped. Bout a four and a half hour drive.

Here tis.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=391536781

Doc I have a house in Radford, near Draper, and I'm going there this weekend. If you need my help, msg me.

I'm gonna have to reconsider

I had about given up on going up there. Spousal unit busy and it is about four and a half hours.

But y'all are making this enticing. Maybe I'll take the girlfriend and leave the wife at home.

..... ;o)

Noelf

Sorry I did not personalize the response.

I read your message about the house in Radford and sort of answered but didn't address you personally.

It turns out my better half was right all along. I will be having the rifle sent to me through the mail.

I have spent a good bit of time in that part of VA and I can tell you I will be going back.

Too nice to miss.

I'd be happy.....

....For some pointers on this Douglas barrel.

I have not seen the rifle yet. The photos indicate a good match in patina between the receiver which is original and the barrel which is said to be new.

These barrels appear not to be liners but the entire barrel.

The barrel in the photos appears to be a good likeness of the original barrel.

Any comments from experienced RRB folks would be welcome.

Tnx,

Last edited:
Trying to figure why he wants a C&R in the listing. It is the receiver that that counts and in this case it is classified as antique, no C&R or FFL required unless local law on your end requires it. Just curious as I have my C&R.

Got the rifle today...

Very pleased.

The bore is like a mirror.

This carbine has no collector value at all, I think. That is fine with me because it is going to be a shooter.

It has not been restored, it has been lovingly upgraded. I am relatively certain it started life as a rifle. I say this because the receiver does not have a saddle ring rail, nor does it have the empty holes where a saddle ring rail once was. The stock has a sling swivel and there is a barrel band with a swivel. In addition the vendor said that the "EP" on the left side is a mark of Egyptian Contract rifles. AFAIK there were no carbines in that contract. In addition, there appears to be the remnants of a crescent on the left side of the receiver just forward of the "EP". The serial number under the stock is 6777.

The metal parts have been refinished to the point where nearly all markings are gone. The markings on the barrel are missing but that is because this is a recently installed Douglas barrel. The action is nice and tight. Springs are robust.

One of the online demonstrators (I think not Duelist but someone else) complained of original trigger pulls of a ridiculous 18 pounds. I measured this one and it is right at three. Very visible bead sight on the front.

I am not in love with the finish and so I may be taking it down to metal for cosmetic reasons. The butt plate, stock swivel, barrel band and band spring have not been fiddle with. They retain what appears to be an original patina. This gives me even more reason to take the existing finish off and go down to a more historic look.

The stock and forearm have been refinished including some filling of wood which is obvious but not terribly offensive.

I like this rifle.

Just read that the markings on this receiver....

Are an exact match for the Egyptian contract rifles. Their actual model number was 1868, but they were dead ringers for the Model 1 RRB.

Remington history folks do not have a reference for Serial number 6777 because they said, the serial number was among those the records for which were destroyed in a fire.

Some photos from the listing

Bead front sight.

Repair to stock. Not well executed.

Open breach. You can still see some of the Remington markings

Left side of the receiver. Part of the crescent is still visible about an inch forward of the breach block pin

More photos

Shot of the right side of the rifle. Note the two sling swivels.

Left side of the receiver with the EP and the remnants of the crescent

Rear sight

And the receiver

Shot this thing today....

Put about twenty rounds through it.

First three rounds were fired remotely with a white cloth around the breach.

Not a spec on it.

I didn't take along any targets nor did I take the chrony. But I can tell you this rifle is a lot of fun to shoot. May sound odd using a /45-70 but I was essentially plinking with it.

Didn't miss a beat. I think the Douglas barrel is doing the job of sealing up the breach for the round.

Anxious to shoot it again for a better analysis of the bullet and the rifle.

Back