I think I found a solution to my H&R Handi light strikes... now I feel dumb

TruthTellers

I bought an H&R Handi rifle with .223 and .308 barrel (both with Barska scopes already mounted) a couple years ago and the first day I went to the range with them, they both had issues with light primer strikes. It would take 5 or 6 hits with the hammer to fire them.

I thought maybe the firing pin was busted or the hammer spring was bad or there was an issue with the transfer bar... well, I pulled the Handi rifle out tonight to look at it whilst looking at other stuff and think I finally discovered the problem.

There's an attachment on the hammer that sticks out to the side so it makes it easier to cock when a scope is mounted. Turns out that attachment was dragging on the underside of the scope. When I took the attachment off, I saw daylight between the top of the hammer and the scope the entire way down, so I think the issue is fixed.

But I feel dumb for not thinking of that when I was shooting it 2 years ago. So hopefully when I hit the range next time things will be running smoothly and my $350 will have been well spent.

Had the same issue with my wife's Rossi R243.
I was able to slide the spur down on the hammer some and solved the issue that way.

My Barska went in the trashcan. Put a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12X42 on it. Total investment for gun, optics, bipod was under $400.
She outshot more than one guy that had $5,000 in his rig.

In my most humble opinion, "dumb" would be selling it, or taking it to your LGS without you, yourself, trying to figure out what the problem was.
Move yourself to the "brilliant" category...you earned it. Great job!

Thanks for posting this, I've had that happen with receiver sights when they are adjusted down and are close to the hammer. If you have a rebounding hammer, you must check clearance with the hammer pushed all the way forward, not just at the rest position.

I had a similar issue with the .223 but it just couldn't penetrate mil-spec ammo. It would shoot Tula steel all day long so I just shot no-mil primer ammo in it until I sold it. (Yes, I did tell the guy buying it what I had found.)

I had a similar issue with the .223 but it just couldn't penetrate mil-spec ammo. It would shoot Tula steel all day long so I just shot no-mil primer ammo in it until I sold it. (Yes, I did tell the guy buying it what I had found.)
Good on you, the seller of mine didn't tell me that under the slip on recoil pad that the polymer stock had been cut so the hollow portion could be used as storage. I had no issue with that, good spot to put a .22 and .30 cal Boresnake in, but I would have liked to know this. I figure the FFL seller didn't know about it.

Also, I'm not so sure the .223 barrel was factor fit to the frame, some very noticable wobble when the fore end is off, no wobble with the .308 at all. With the fore end on the .223, the wobble stops.

So, what I learned after that is when buying an H&R/NEF Handi rifle, assume any extra barrels are not factory fit. These aren't drop in fits like Thompson Centers are.

A few of my Handi rifles came with those. I found that I could hear the difference in the lock time with one on. So I gave the hammer extension away and I've never looked back.

I bought a couple hammers from Gun Parts and I've been planning to drill them out to lighten them up to see if it improves lock time. It's another project I put on the back burner...

Tony

Good on you, the seller of mine didn't tell me that under the slip on recoil pad that the polymer stock had been cut so the hollow portion could be used as storage. I had no issue with that, good spot to put a .22 and .30 cal Boresnake in, but I would have liked to know this. I figure the FFL seller didn't know about it ...
I hinge my buttplates with industrial Velcro and Gorilla Tape, then cover with a Limbsaver. Great storage. On my 20 gauge I can keep all my chamber adapters. :D

hinge.jpg

Last edited:
Back