I swore I would not buy another puny .38 special

timujin

A couple of years ago I decided that .38 specials were too weak for serious self defense and that I didn't need to waste my money on them anymore. Well, here it is the last couple of days of the year 2000 and I see that I have aquired three .38 specials this year.

1. Smith & wesson Model 15, blue, 4" barrel & adj. sights.
2. Colt Detective Special, blue, 2" barrel.
3. Ruger Speed Six, blue, 2 3/4" barrel.

I'm still glad I picked them up though. They are all sweet shooters. That brings my total number of useless .38 specials to seven. 2001 is only a couple of days away. Who knows what next year will bring. Best........Mike

.38 spl is my favorite revolver round. It is a very soft recoiler and is very accurate. In 4" barrels, M&S ranked the .38 spl best load as an 80 % stopper (not bad).

The only cartridges I like better than .38 spl are .45 ACP and .22 LR.

I have my Texas CHL and have several guns I can use for carry. The one I carry most is my S&W 442 which rides with me in the console of my car. I also carry a speed loader for it. I feel pretty secure with that and my cell phone.

Oh, please.....I'm getting tired of hearing how "puny" the .38 special is, one-shot-stop percentages, etc. This is a very powerful, effective round that has been used by police agencies for decades.

My favorite is the one about the cop who shoots some fat guy four times with a .38 or 9mm, it doesn't stop him, and then the cop dies from a .22 he takes through an artery from the bad guy's NAA or some other mini-gun. This is supposed to prove that the .38/9mm isn't effective - what it proves to me is that the .22 was damn effective!

Same thing holds true for .45 hardball (over penetrates, doesn't expand, yadda-yadda) - there's lots of dead Germans, Japanese, Koreans, and Vietnamese who apparently didn't read these articles...

Yep, the .38 spl is just about right for just about everything--especially for fun, since fun is what most of us use our guns for most of the time.

Many people don't seem to like it, but there are reasons why the .38 spl has remained so popular for 100 years.

Back