"I shot my SKS so much that"

ED CHAVEZ

I shot my SKS so much that it melted my synthetic K-sports stock onto the barrel. It got so hot that you could melt soft-solder onto the barrel.It just started melting after 200 rounds shot in semi-auto simultaneously ( I shot 200 rounds in less than 10 minutes and loaded 10 rounds at a time with a 10 round fixed magazine). Anyways, have any of you experience this problem with other synthetic stocks? if so which ones? And are the old wood-stocks better at handling heat than the synthetic ones?I am going to pick up a wood-stock when I can and if I could find one and put it the test at the range again. I hope I do not start a bond-fire at the range and start a barbecue. I could not put my friends Ramline synthetic stock to the test due to that he had problems with his 30-rounder magazine. But I bet you he could have melted the stock onto the barrel also. My Chi-com SKS is the only gun I have in synthetic, the rest of my rifles have wood-stocks. I believe I will stay with the old wood-stock and install a rubber butt-pad on the wood-stock. Anyways I'll report as soon as I can. I may have to order it by mail. Later.

I have a fiberglass stock and handguard on my SKS. One time, I put 3x30 + 1x10 downrange in 2 minutes. Barrel got super hot, but no damage to the glass.

You might've got a bad stock, maybe?

------------------
"If your determination is fixed, I do not counsel you to despair. Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance."
-- Samuel Johnson

I seem to like the wood stock. Just a personal preferance. :)

------------------
"what gives a government that arms the whole world the right to disarm it's own citizens?"

Um, Ed, is this a controlled experiment you're trying to conduct, or are you just trying to destroy rifle stocks? Or is it just that you're trying to destroy your rifle, and the stock failed first? 2 stripper clips a minute for 10 minutes is pretty sustained fire, and I just have to ask: What was the point? Your barrel is lucky if it's not completely ruined. As for what accuracy that an SKS could possibly have, yours is likely gone...

"I shot my SKS so much that..."

...my neighbors complained...and I live next door to NRA headquarters.

...Norinco sent me a free case of 7.62X39.

...after 1,000,000 rounds, I finally got a spent casing that wasn't dinged.

...I had lunch by putting hotdogs on a stick and held then over the barrel.

°_°

- Ron V.

------------------

Yes Long Path, this is a controlled experiment. As to what I am trying to prove is,"Which synthetic stock is better and which are worthless". "And are the old wood-stocks better at handling heat". As for the wood-stock I tested it today, with the same drill and it worked beatifully(no problem what-so-ever). And as for my barrel it is still as beatiful as the day I bought the rifle. And for the rifling it is still as good. The accuracy was 1"groups@50 yards with iron sights. You got to understand these rifles have proven in Vietnam war to taken tremendous abuse and still fuction flawlessly. Do not be :mad: there are plenty of others rifles around. Anyways it is my money and the stocks could be replaced. AND, in my experiment I proven that the synthetics of today are still as weak and not as strong as good old-fashion wood AND I will never buy another synthetic stock for any of my semi's again. That is it. Later. :)

If your SKS is one of the very few that actually can turn in 1" @ 50 yards (I know they exist), than you have such a jewell that to abuse the barrel in such a way is almost criminal. Yes, I know that the SKS was proven in Viet Nam, and a hundred other "Cold War" conflicts over the last 50 years, but that reflects that the rifle will still work after abuse, not necessarily work well. Hey-- it's your rifle, and you're right-- there's plenty of other SKS's around, and it's your money. We're not talking about somebody trigger-fanning numerous 20-rd mags out of a Super-Match grade M1A on a hot day, here.

But if your SKS is capable of 2 MOA (they're rare, and I doubt it will still do it), you might want to just pick yourself up another SKS to trash...

As to synthetics-- there are synthetics, and there are synthetis. You're talking about ABS plastic. This stuff is the Ford Pinto of synthetics. At STP, it's stable. But change the heat, and it either gets (a) soft, or (b), brittle. It's main feature is that it's light and it's cheap. It's pretty strong, too. Now, you get into the good synthetics, and you're looking at Kevlar, fiberglass, and Gawd knows what else. That stuff is absolutely stable, much more resistant to temperature change, and strong? Oh my gosh, it's strong. But it's much more expensive. (And fiberglass isn't as light.)

I think I'd research before doing the personal test, but hey, if it's in the name of science... :-)

Regards,
L.P.

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

If your SKS is one of the very few that actually can turn in 1" @ 50 yards (I know they exist), than you have such a jewell that to abuse the barrel in such a way is almost criminal. Yes, I know that the SKS was proven in Viet Nam, and a hundred other "Cold War" conflicts over the last 50 years, but that reflects that the rifle will still work after abuse, not necessarily work well. Hey-- it's your rifle, and you're right-- there's plenty of other SKS's around, and it's your money. We're not talking about somebody trigger-fanning numerous 20-rd mags out of a Super-Match grade M1A on a hot day, here.

But if your SKS is capable of 2 MOA (they're rare, and I doubt it will still do it), you might want to just pick yourself up another SKS to trash...

As to synthetics-- there are synthetics, and there are synthetics. You're talking about ABS plastic. This stuff is the Ford Pinto of synthetics. At STP, it's stable. But change the heat, and it either gets (a) soft, or (b), brittle. It's main feature is that it's light and it's cheap. It's pretty strong, too. Now, you get into the good synthetics, and you're looking at Kevlar, fiberglass, and Gawd knows what else. That stuff is absolutely stable, much more resistant to temperature change, and strong? Oh my gosh, it's strong. But it's much more expensive. (And fiberglass isn't as light.)

I think I'd research before doing the personal test, but hey, if it's in the name of science... :-)

Regards,
L.P.

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

The red fiberglas jungle stocks are dirt cheap these days and very serviceable. Might be more heat resistant than the ABS plastic. Have you tried one?
My friend and I also discovered that drilling a row of 1/4" holes through bayonet channel of the stock along with a vent handguard will make a big difference in helping the barrel stay cool. Try it

Long Path I will purchase a Romanian SKS and another Chi-Com SKS next week for $300 from my gundealer. But I finish my testing and I am done with such abuses on my SKSs rifles and stocks. And I did try the Red stock it is very durable. Thanks to you all. Later :)

Back