I shot my Beretta to pieces this week.

Lavan

A303 Beretta. Have switched to 3 dram loads and gotten lax on cleaning. Shot trap on Wednesday and decided to clean the gun. Took off the nut and it unscrewed the mag tube. The adjustable butt plate also shot loose same day.
Would it hurt to put a LITTLE loctite on the mag tube threads?
Not smear it so it is not removable but just to give it a little more hold than the nut could provide.
Of course, it was a good source of amusement to the rest of the club as I pieced together all the springs that were sticking willy-nilly out of the gun while I took it apart.
Also there are 2 screws just below the mag tube in the receiver front. What do they do? They were also loose so I tightened them but couldn't figger out what they do.

Lavan, the only problem I could foresee with using Loctite is its effect on the finish. Even if you're using the light-duty blue stuff (which is what you should use), it leaves a whitish residue. IIRC, Loctite makes a solution for removing its products. You might want to test that on an area that will never show.

So, how many shades of red did your face turn yesterday?

Dick

Different grades of loctite

There are several different grades of loc-tite. I'd use one of the hardness levels that is meant to allow easy disassembly of parts. Like BLUE is easier to disassemble than RED I think.

Loctite?

Lavan, you might want to go over towww.shotgunreport.com and try this on Bruce Buck (AKA the Technoid). He is a big fan of the beretta 303 and probably knows more about that gun than Beretta.

Every CTSCA shoot I go to he is there and I always see him taking apart someones Beretta gas gun to explain to them how to properly care for it. You might be able to pick up some tips on how to take care of the gun. He can field strip a 390 as fast as a grunt in a firefight clearing his M16.

Frankly, I despise gas guns in Sporting Clays, which in my opinion should be shot with a proper O/U. Excepting of course junior shooters and small statured ladies who may shoot Remington 1100LT 20 gauge guns untill they grow up:D. OK, SxS are acceptible.

Geoff Ross

LocTite here and there may be helpful, but keeping tabs on the mag tube nut throughout a shooting session should be a habit ... until you buy an O/U :)

Back