I really dislike the bolt knob on my Savage model 10.

Pops1085

My Model 10 long range (not sure the exact model) with the accustock came with this ridiculously large bolt handle. It's tear drop shaped, and about 2" long. I'm sure some guys like it for the leverage it gives you, but I guess I find it obtrusive and a little annoying. Does anybody know if there are smaller/shorter handles sold for the savage 10/110 and is it an easy install? Thanks!

-Pops

Pretty easy swap, just have to find the bolt handle you want to replace yours with. Takes less than 5 minutes to change. I have the factory short handle if you're that interested.

There are tons of aftermarket Savage bolt handles out there.

Happy to swap my small knob with yours.

Biggest issue is breaking the nut loose on the back.

Hex leverage is the key, takes a bit of effort, some tricks that make it easy(er) and doable.

Straight up they don't come off nicely.

Onece the nut is off you just plug and play.

Savage bolts come apart into several pieces one of which is the handle itself.
I question why you chose a rifle with a bolt knob you obviously didn't like.

When I picked out the rifle, it had everything I wanted, in the price point I could afford. Am still very impressed with the accuracy with the rifle, even with my abilities it is easily the most accurate rifle I own. Only discovered the slight annoyance with the bolt handle. I was doing some searching too and I'll probably just pick one of the smaller OEM handles and see how I enjoy that one.

One of my three has the sharp punji sticks on the top.

The older more used one had been dulled down (or came that way)

I really don't care but those sharp tangs do bite at times (I have not decided if I will sand down or work them down with my flesh).

The beer barrel ones look to be useless but I don't have one to try (yet)

Sigh, I thought I could get rid of it!

You takes what youse gets and then either live with it or change it if you can.

Some of the new Savage model 10s come with a bolt that originally appeared on the BA model. It is longer overall than the standard bolt and the grip is extended as well. It is probably intended for a tactical look but it can get in the way. I have a new rifle, 10T-SR, made by Savage for Cabela's, with that BA style bolt and it took a bit of getting used to. I also prefer the standard Savage bolt.

Bolt handle? (grin)

Easily replaced (well one you get past the new pin that stick out and that god for awful tight fastener loose on the back.

You have to de-cock the bolt to get the cocked bolt indicator pin to drop below the hex.

No idea how they got the old slot screw type out unless not welded in.

Anybody want to give the OP some hints about using some kind of penetrating oil or other products?

About the only thing I could suggest is make sure you've got a good quality wrench that really fits.

I've got one of the Cabelas 10T Savages... it's a fine rifle but I'll admit the bolt handle is stupid... it barely clears the scope bell. I do like the leverage it provides, but they sure could have shaped it better to be a bit less obtrusive...

Anybody want to give the OP some hints about using some kind of penetrating oil or other products?

Kroil and a ball-peen hammer solves most issues with 'stuck' stuff.

About the only thing I could suggest is make sure you've got a good quality wrench that really fits.

That too.

I've always done it by getting an "L" shaped hex wrench and inserting the small end into the hex well of the bolt disassembly screw. Place the long end of the inserted hex wrench on a WORKBENCH (not your wife's good dining room table and don't ask me now I know this) with the bolt handle positioned about an inch or so above the long hex wrench leg. Then push the bolt handle clockwise (as you're looking into the rear of the action bolt) toward the hex wrench. It should snap loose. If not a light tap on the bolt handle with a soft nylon or rubber mallet should do the trick.

As RC20 said, on some of the new bolts with a bottom release, there is a cocking indicator in the hex well. On those models the bolt has to be de-cocked to provide clearance for the hex wrench.

I really dislike the bolt knob on my Savage model 10
So change it! Find one you like (internet), unscrew the magic screw that holds the bolt together (you will need heat), put on a new one, and screw it back together. Done.

Back