I promise, last question .22 mag

tatters

I have settled on a Marlin .22 mag. Are the bull barrels really that much more accurate than the standard? My main quarry will be the vicious and rare Groundhogus Fourleggus. Is the plain old version accurate enough for this purpose? I am kinda cheap, and the wife will be happier if I don't spend a bunch. Thanks

------------------
Knock twice. Rap with your cane. Feels nice. You're out of the rain. We got your skinny girls. Here at the Western World
from Steely Dan's "Western World"

I believe the reasoning behind heavy barrels is three-fold. First, they are more consistent in temperature throughout a shooting session. In a high-rate-fire situation, a thin barrel can really heat up and send your groups to the trash. A heavy barrel will not heat up as much, and dissapate the heat faster. Second, a heavy barrel does not vibrate as much when fired -- it is stiffer and thus more accurate because of fewer minute vibrations. Third, it increases the weight of the rifle helping to smooth out your movements. This helps most in off-hand shooting. I say, if you are using a rest and not shooting 70,000 rds/min, you should be fine with a "thin" barrel. You can always buy the bull later on if you need it. Good luck with the 'hogs!

Hueco

Back