I picked up my Kimber today-now what?

nobody

I picked up my Ultra Carry today. This is not the first new pistol I have ever bought, but I want to do things "right" this time.
Before I shoot it, should I detail strip it, clean it thoroughly, and lube it up with some CLP? Or should I just lube it and shoot it?

[This message has been edited by nobody (edited January 09, 2000).]

I alway clean a weapon before I shoot it the first time. At the very least swab out the barrel to make sure it's free of obstructions.

[This message has been edited by sholling (edited January 09, 2000).]

My normal practice with a new pistol is to clean, including the rails, with Hoppe's or ProLix, and then I don't use any grease until I fire 200 or so rounds. My theory is this removes any residual grit, but allows the break-in to proceed.

Always swab out the barrel, as there is often grease left from shipping.

nobody, here is what you do:
Clean it and bless it...
then go to the range and abuse it.
Fire 200 rounds.
Dont worry about failures unless they are chronic.
50 at close range.
100 at medium range.
50 at longer range.
Record the score or pattern in your new dope book. I know this is a bit much and mostly done with rifles - but I keep a little note book for each of my guns. Then, next time you go out you have a good idea if you gun is getting better and by how much.
Wear in is normal.
After the range session, go get some good food. Mexican is essential. Then go home and with a large cold beverage and a nice area to work in... Clean your gun.
While cleaning it - examine each part. Your looking for any manufacturing defects that were not apparent before. Make sure there are no cracks, bends or anything like that.
After you clean it good... reassemble it - function check it. Then reload it with your selection of "Duty Ammo*" and slip it into its new sleak leather rig. Bingo. Its now home.

* Duty Ammo - means your choice of ammo that you will use for your Personal Protection, CCW, or Duty should that be required.
If your a LEO - that 200 rounds of ammo you shot should have been of your Duty Ammo. If your a Citizen - you can if money is an object drop that number of rounds to 50 of your selected Duty Ammo. So long as you had no failures with those rounds.
This is a bit rushed... I normally go 500 rounds before I will rate a pistol, ammo combo as compatable. But hey - I am just nuts. That and I like to shoot. A Lot.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

I shot my new Kimber compact last night in an indoor no light IDPA match. It came straight out of the box and into my Tactical Talon Kydex holster by Mike Benedict. I did visually inspect it for lubricant. I was very pleased with the little gun. The muzzle flash from the 4 inch barrel was very low (I used Winchester 231 powder). The gun was reliable, accurate and easy to control. I will shoot it more this weekend to break it in.

George,
I tore the Ultra Carry apart, and inspected everything. I found that the hammer had a big chip of metal missing from the sear engagement area. Trying to get someone at Kimber to talk to me. No success so far.

Back