I passed on a Ruger Bearcat yesterday evening,,,

aarondhgraham

I passed on a Ruger Bearcat yesterday evening,,,
The little gun just left me unimpressed.

A friend asked me if I would be interested in buying his,,,
It's only a few years old and has had only 50 rounds through it.

So I took off work 2 hours early to get to the range,,,
I shot a box of CCI standard velocity then said,,,
"Thanks for thinking about me, but no thanks."

I own several Ruger handguns,,,
I've always been positive about them,,,
But the Bearcat did nothing to give me that same impression.

For one, I couldn't hit a thing with it,,,
At 7 yards my old eyes can usually hols a 2-3" circle,,,
But the fifty holes in the paper more resembled a shotgun pattern.

I have fired many Single-Six handguns and did like them a lot,,,
I own a Colt Frontier Scout that I hit very well with,,,
But this gun didn't meet my expectations at all.

Honestly, the way people here rave about their Bearcats,,,
I was expecting a better experience from this one,,,
But quite frankly, it left me feeling disappointed.

Am I the only guy here who isn't enamored with them?

Aarond

I've never fired one but from handling them they just seem too small. The Single Six however is a gem of a rimfire handgun.

My brother keeps one stuffed in his back pocket , when fishing , hunting or just beating around in the woods... Its old , rusty ...it works , fills its roll ... I never owned one .. But if I did .. It would be his ...

I have not owned a new model Bearcat but owned several old models. When I was a teenager back in 60s I had a complete set of Ruger SAs. All bought new
from Bearcat to SBH. I found BC to be as well made as other Ruger SAs. They
are accurate too, fired from rest. I could never shoot one for beans. Had no problem with Single-6. I guess some guys can shoot them but I'm not one of
them. I have S&W m34 Kitgun that I hear people compairing BCs to. That's when I stop reading and wonder what their idea of accuracy is. I look at them as
basically a novelty. It's small size and poor sights don't lend to bring out the accuracy that is in the gun. Add that to SA hammer fall and that makes it a tuff
job to shoot well for average guy. I never had one that printed with the sights, so there is another bugaboo. By same token they all grouped nicely off bags at
20'.

Sorry you didn't have good results with that Bearcat. My experience is only with the old ones, so I can't say what the new ones are like.

My Dad got a Super Bearcat for Mom, in the early 70s. $57 and he got them to throw in a left handed holster. Not a good gun for me, but Mom was 4'10" (and a half!!, damnit!:rolleyes:) and wore a size 3.5 ring. She was deadly accurate with it (poker chip at 50ft was a game we played, and she never lost..) for her, it was about perfect.

I've got a Super Single Six, and for me, its a much better gun. The old Bearcats I've known were all good guns, just not guns everyone could use easily and well. If the new ones aren't as good, that's a sad thing...

I have a newer Bearcat that I love and wish I could find an older one for a decent price. I had an older one but had to sell it when bad times hit, I still miss it.

It's the sights. The traditional sights on them may look nice, but they don't make them easy to shoot. Ruger does offer models with adjustable sights and they can only help in tightening up groups.

0916.jpg

Not too long ago I bought a Ruger Bearcat, one that has been converted to transfar ber mechanism. Not exactly a tack driver, but cute, none the less.

Like you, though, I am totally unenamoured with it.

Bob Wright

I'm glad to read that I'm not the only one,,,

I'm glad to read that I'm not the only one,,,
I have read so many raving reviews,,,
I really had my hopes fired up.

He'll sell it quickly though,,,
I pointed him in the direction of a friend with a young son.

It might be a perfect first gun for him.

Aarond

I bought my son one that was made in the mid sixties when he was twelve and he and I enjoyed it’s and I was surprised how accurate it was out to 15 yards. He traded if off when he became 18 much to my displeasure. Then the 4 years following I had to listen to him moan and groan about it. Well I found a 1961 Alfa Cat and bought it on the spot. I tried it out at the range and it proved to be everything the past one was then put it away for Christmas without telling anyone. Well all I can was there wasn’t a dry eye in my living room that morning soon after it was unwrapped. So for me Bearcats have a little more meaning that accuracy.

Hafta quit reading these posts, had an inkling for a .22 and after reading this post I put in a bid on a stainless single six convertible. Stop doing this to me. :mad:

I have a syoer bearcat - vintage 1970 and it is a good shooting little revolver but I don't shoot it much - it's about the only thing I can get my wife to shoot. I have looked at the newer ones and while I have owned and like Rugers, I didn't like the new style bearcats - but have never shot one so can't speak to that aspect.

Rugers are good - I've owned probably a half a dozen Ruger pistols but I've ended up trading them for others I like better. Will keep the super bearcat for my wife - I consigned my New Vaquero this past summer as I much prefer my Ubetri SA revolvers and my vintage S & Ws.

I am enamored by the appearance of the Bearcats, I really do think they are sharp looking little guns, but I much rather have a single six or ten for plinking.

The appealing aspects of the Bearcat are
1. They're small and fairly light
2. They look cool.

I rarely buy guns based on their look, but understand why some do. For a small, and I mean really small .22 revolver, my NAA Minimaster with combo .22 Mag and .22 LR cylinders is tough to beat.

th

I know the trigger isn't as good, but I've "mastered" this mini after almost 1000 rounds.

That's when I want a small .22, when I want something that shoots really well, a bigger gun that's more comfortable in the hand is better.

We own one. My wife really likes it, and I don't mind it. The trigger pull is heavy, but other than that it shoots well. No problem hitting those 25Y targets (the square, the triangle, etc.) setup at our range. I'd rather shoot my tuned Single Six, but nothing wrong with the little Bearcat that I can see. You can tuck it about anywhere too.

1967 model

The 'cats are not accuracy firearms, that's for sure. Meaning, they are hard to shoot accurately. The dinky grip and tiny fixed sights on most models, and lightweight make for a revolver that is just plain hard to shoot well.

What the 'cats do well is carry very easily. Like dropped in the front pocket of loose trousers, or the bottom of your tackle box....that sort of thing. Diminutive. Most holsters I've seen for them just add bulk, and at that point one might as well carry the much more shootable Single-6.

I can hit routinely with mine about as far as I can toss a coke can, which is about as far as I ever shoot it. In the summer months, I sometimes stoke it with birdshot while riding the mower around the place should I run up on a poisonous snake. That's about all I expect from my 'cat.

But there is just something about those tiny, well made revolvers that is appealing.....but shootability is not it.

Have been tempted a few times. I guess the "cute factor" has a lot to do with it. I especially like the one with the birds head grip. It would be more of a fun novelty more than any target work. Just something I don't have.

Thanks a lot, now you got me thinking again ;)

i really like rimfires, rugers and single action revolvers, so i had to have a bearcat. it’s...uh...fine. the bearcat isn’t indispensable like a single six, but now that i have one, it’s not going anywhere. having shot the bearcat a fair bit, it is as others here have said: small, well-made, not particularly accurate. i will use it to teach my young unborn grandchildren how to shoot. mine goes in a fanny pack with a couple of speedstrips for warm weather walks...sometimes. i almost wish that it came in 22wmr or even 32, i would add another caliber to my lineup for the latter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've seen some 10 and 11year olds start out in SASS with a pair of Bearcats. Most do really well with them. I bought my Grandson a pair of Heritage 22s for less than one new Bearcat and he shot them a couple years and sold them for about what I paid.

Last edited:
Back