I need your guys opinion on steel targets.

jumpinjack

Inactive
Hey I'm wanting to get some fellow shooters opinions/ advice on some targets I'm making. They are designed for rimfire and pistol rounds. We tested with everything up to a .45 auto at 30 yards and they received no damage. They are made of 12560 armor plate steel, this is the same steel that the military uses in their tanks and armored vehicles. (It's awesome) If you don't mind check out my website and let me know what you think, good, bad I'd still like your opinion. Thanks guys
www.jumpinjacktarget.com

Those types of steel targets always looked very entertaining.
However, our local range owners frown on them, due to the suspected unpredictibility of the ricochettes.
They only allow single hanging ones set up right in front of the berms.
Yours look like they would be great, though, on a private range, with plenty of elbow room.
Oh well, maybe somewhere there's a rich relative who will remember us in their will.

jumpinjack, using armor plate you are on the right track.

I've shot a lot of steel, targets made from mild steel will pock mark and in time the targets actually become dangerous.

I have a full size popper that resets itself made out of T1 armor plate, it's been shot numerous times and to date does not have one pock mark.

Good looking targets, I wish the best in your endeavors.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

steel targets

Unless I'm mistaken I think the T1 armor is the navy's armor steel, (don't quote me, but I think thats right.) I've heard it's some good stuff, maybe I'll get my hands on some sometime.

I'm not sure if the T1 is Navy armor plate, I know the guy I bought the Popper from said it was T1, I know I've never marked it yet.

I've even shot it with some 12 ga slugs.

You may want to consider making a resetting popper, they sure are great for practicing your drawing technique.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Jumpinjack,
Have you considered also producing plain round steel targets (with a couple holes to hang them by) for would be customers who cannot use your mobile targets?

Back