I Need Some Info on This.....

moderatez

Inactive
Hey guy's, I just joined here to find out if anyone can help me identify this item.

DSCF1928.jpg

On the metal tag it says "STEWARD'S Improved Rifle Telescope, 406 Strand, London. No. 369.

Any help on the date it was made or any info would be great.

Thanks for looking.

You have a vintage "draw tube telescope", used for observation in the field (or at sea) before binocular optics were optimized.

It was most likely made by J.H. Steward, who also made military and astronomical telescopes.

The bottom lugs indicate it was made to mount on something, maybe a tripod. It is not for mounting on a rifle, though.

Jim

Hello, moderatez. If you check out the old Creedmoor/Wimbledon long range matches of the 1870's and 80's, you will see this type of scope in use. They were mounted on tripods. How are the optics?

It's listed with the silver stuff, but says brass.

"A collapsible leather-encased brass telescope for rifle-mounting "

www.schredds.com/objet.htm

Item 8090 is a similar Steward scope. The date on it is 1862 and the price is 375 pounds.

Item 8090 is a similar Steward scope. The date on it is 1862 and the price is 375 pounds.

Wow, glad I looked at the link...I thought you meant the ORIGINAL price was 375 pounds. That amount of money in 1862 for a scope would prompt a ":eek:" from me for SURE.

There are telescopes, and there are spyglasses. I own a 16 power U.S. Navy Mark 1 Spyglass mfg. in 1942 by Wolsak Corp. of Rocester, NY. that came from an auction in Washington state of stuff that supposedly came off of the USS Missouri.

This looks like a spyglass to me not a telescope but I guess if it can be mounted it's a telescope. Does it have crosshairs?

Back