I need some help!

Cooden

Inactive
Hello,
I am going to purchase a handgun and it is going to be my first. So I would like to ask for some advice from the experts here. I know these probably sound like dumb questions, but I really appreciate the help.
First--
Can someone explain the differences to me regarding caliber size (9mm, 10mm, .380, .40, .45) I know that a .357 and a .44 are supposed to be huge, but how does the other calibers measure up?
Second--
I was told that Glocks are the best, and then someone told me Beretta, then someone told me Browning makes a good pistol. I want to spend somewhere between $600-$700 for the gun. I just want good quality, and lightweight but heavy firepower. I know everyone has their favorite brand, but what is the best gun in that price range? I am just worried about the local gun dealer trying to make a fast sale. The guns I was looking at were Glock 19 and 19c, and a Beretta 9mm and a Browning High Power 9mm.
Third--
I know that compact means small and sub compact means smaller, but what effect does that have on the gun? Less range when firing? Not accurate shot? I don't know the difference between performance of the two sizes.
Thanks for your help and patience. If anyone has any other advice, please let me know. I am trying to learn all I can so that I can a make a wise choice. Thanks again!!
John Bonacci

Guns are like ice cream at a Baskin Robbins: there are 57 flavors and everybody has their own favorite. The calibers for self defense generally range from 38 (357, 9MM 380, 357Sig, etc) to the 45acp and hotter 45's (super, etc). The in betweens such as the 40's (10mm, 40 S&W, etc) are very popular at this time (40S&W mainly), again like Baskin Robbins flavor of the month. The main difference within the same caliber generally is due to the relative size of the case and the pressures that they tolerate. Most of the 'modern' calibers (not really too date specific because the 9mm works at about 35,000 pounds) work at 30-40,000 pounds stated in either pounds per inch or copper units of pressure, while older ones like the 38special and 45ACP are sub 20,000 pounds unless you consider some of the +P loads. You have set youself a price limit that just about lets you buy most anything that you want. Most people with that limit seem to like Sigs, H&Ks, the fancier 45's such as Kimbers, etc... You can reasonably expect to get a quality pistol in your price range from just about any manufacturer. You can also expect to get relatively good service from these companies if you do have problems. Now how do you select one? You should have some goal for this 'first' gun. You will soon have other desires and 'needs' the minute that you purchase the first one and will probably buy one or two every month or so if you really get hooked although some people have been known to exceed that number on a continuing basis. If defense is your target any of the self loading semi automatics from the top manufactures in any of the more popular calibers will probably meet your expectations. 9mm, 40S&W, or the newer 357 Sig are excellent examples of the current popular choices with the newer thought being that the 9mm is too small. Others say that the 45acp is the 'real thing' etc.... Since you have little or no experience you should get one that doesn't recoil too severly thus moving the 357, 40, 10mm and the 45 (in some peoples view) into the category of 'buy it later after you have some proven tolerance to recoil'. This is especially true if you are buying one of light weight CCW designs by Kahr, Kimber, Glock (which while being a little less in some configerations than your limit, most Glock users are fanatics about the reliability and concealability of their 26's,27's etc, I hope the numbers are right as I am not a Glock man). The old school of thought was that one's first gun should be a revolver as they are rather fool proof so far as accidental discharges, forgetting the safety, take down and maintenance complexity when compared to the single action pistol. Of course we now have the double action only which elimates the fear of locked and cocked single action pistols although not the other considerations. Then of course the S/A first shot, D/A on subsequent ones. Any of the newer titanium guns also are extremely light in weight and should be test driven before you decide to buy. The gun hobby in all of it's disiplines can be a very exciting and pleasurable experience. You will meet the nicest people in the world, regardless of what the gun-control advocates would have you believe. It can be a life long process of learning (unless Clinton gets his way). There are so many considerations that it was very foolish of me to even start this long rambling, but I am retired and no place better to be or subject to contemplate. I didn't mention target and 'game' sports such as bullseye, ipsec, idpa, silouette, etc or hunting. Each has many choices available to meet the unique requirements. You can use a CCW type gun very nicely in IDPA and stock class in IPSEC. So talk to a friend that is experienced and accompany him/her to the range for informal outings as well as some of the meets put on by the various ssociations. This will give you good opportunity to make a well informed decision, but remember that the first gun will probably not be your last, especially after you get more exposure to the options in hardware and the shooting sports, Have fun, stay safe and free, Jim

Well thats alot of questions to ask all at one time. I would say go to the local range and observe. Ask questions and then make a decision. I would recommend a beretta,sig,glock,S&W and HK among others. I would say rent some guns and see which works best for you. I personally like sigs the best.Sigs make superb guns and all in your price range. are you going to be shooting for fun,home defense or carrying daily? I just got back into shooting recently and i can tell ya i was in your shoes a short time ago. I tried just about everything and bought a sig sauer. Being new to guns, maybe a revolver would be best as a 1st time around gun. There are alot of options out there. if someone told you glocks were the best they were most likely glock owners or glock dealers. I would tell you that sigs are the best auto's because thats my personal opinion. As far as your caliber question thats going to be something you need to decide after doing some homework. Some people are more sensitive to recoil than others. as far as self/home defense, 9mm is very accurate and recoil is low but its a smaller round. 10 mm is still new and ammo is expensive and sometimes hard to find. .40 cal is excellent but has a substantial amount of recoil. .45 cal is excellent too but expensive to shoot and has alot of recoil. as you can see there are alot of variables you need to consider. You probably wont need to spend 600-700 bucks for a nice gun that will fit your needs but since you planned on spending that much there are alot of options out there. Dont forget the revolvers. They are the most dependable and if a round dont fire you can just pull the trigger again. If an auto dont fire you normally have to spend some time getting it back up and running. If the gun is for self or home defense this is something to think about. the best advice is to take your time and choose wisely. Dont but something for at least 2 weeks. that will give you time to get a gun you wont regret. I always make it a practice to wait 2 weeks to get over the excitement and anticipation of a new gun and think about all the variables. You may end up choosing something else that fits your needs better. Take your time. get some training and have fun. The people here on TFL will fill you with most of the knowledge you will need to make a great decision on something that will suit you best.

Good luck !

------------------
TIM : )

Cooden-I get asked this question a lot. My response is to be patient and realize that this process will take a while. Go to some gun shows and pick up everything. You will soon realize what the quality pieces are and, more importantly, what fits your hand. You will know this almost immediately. If it doesn't fit my hand, I have a hard time building confidence in a handgun. Personally, I tend towards medium frame revolvers, Browning Hi Power, Sig 228/229, CZ75, and 1911's. S&W autos feel like a piece of 2x4 to me, Glocks just don't feel right, and Beretta's are too large. Mind you, I can pick these up and shoot reasonably well, but I have to work at it. This is nothing against the firearm. People swear by this particular pieces, but they just plain don't fit me. Secondly, as far as I'm concerned, caliber doesn't matter in this class. Being a novice, I would recommend to you to stay away from heavier recoiling calibers like the 44 mag or the 10mm. For this I would say that if you have the luxury of visiting a shooting range that rents handguns with the calibers you listed, by all means do it. This can and will get confusing, but don't be discouraged or badgered into anything. You've proven to be very astute by asking you questions in this forum. Good luck!

Wow jimdee, ya beat me to this one. i see as i was typing away you were clicking submit. sorry if i doubled up on some of the same advice cooden. as you can see we are all pretty much on the same wavelength. it comes down to education. remember, knowledge is free.(unless you are a college student)get all you can and go for it. In the worst case you will trade the gun you didnt like on something you will. It may be an expensive way to learn but we have all done it. I dont regret any gun ive bought other than that POS firestar. but thats a whole diffrent post. matter a fact check the post "worst gun you ever owned" to get some tips on what not to buy.

again, good luck :)

------------------
TIM : )

RENT, RENT RENT !
Rent some to get a "feel" for them first. :)
Is then gun to be for concealed carry/home defense or just fun & games ?
What prices have you been quoted ?
"We" might be able to do better. ;)
Some more info needed for a better idea of what to reccommend to you.
Oh & don't forget to try a 1911 design at the range in either .40 S&W or .45 ACP.

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
E-mail hotshot_2000@hotmail.com
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

I agree with HS. Rent the gun at the range and see whether you like it. Better yet, meet someone who has one and ask to try it. When you find out what you really like, then spend the $.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

If the gun is for concealed carry, the larger heavier guns aren't going to cut it.

INHO small revolver are easier to conceal than small pistols of equal firepower, and the new TI revolvers are very lightweight, very important when carrying a piece for a good length of time.

If it is NOT for concealed carry, get a high-quality, large caliber gun.

Back