I need history and possible value of an old Colt...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Colt PTFA - Mfg. Co. Hartford, CT. USA
Patented Aug. 5th 1884 Nov. 6th 1884 (this is stamped on the barrel) On the left side of the barrel it also has "Colt 38 D.A."

Above the left grip are the initials R.A.C.

On the cylinder release there is this number K 4595. This same number is also on the arm that holds the cylinder out when loading/unloading the gun.

I can't remember if it was the left or right side, but I'm pretty sure it was the right side. There are 3 screws just below the cylinder.

The gun has no rust whatsoever, but the cylinder is loose. It has some play left to right, and forward and backward. It spins freely counter-clockwise while uncocked, and then locks up when the hammer is back.

It also has some type of white grips on it. They resemble ivory, being white and brownish yellow in color. They appear to have shrunk somehow because they are lacking a little in fit. They are loose due to the shrinkage or what have you.

I know this is pretty vague info, and it would be better if I had a picture to show, but I don't.

Any information you can give me with the details given will be appreciated.

Thanks,

TMS

Sounds like you've got a Colt DA Navy Revolver, Model 1889.

Confirm that the sideplate is on the right hand side of the gun and that the cylinder rotates counter clockwise (left, like a S&W or Ruger).

The 1889 was produced from 1889 to 1892, was available in .38 long and short Colt, and in .41 long and short Colt. The Navy only bought the .38 caliber weapon.

Parts are hard to come by and I bought a new trigger & bolt unit from Gun Parts once. The pawl (hand) spring needed to be replaced and that took several years. Finally, I sent the remains of the old spring to Lee Roy Wisner who fabricated a new one for me (wotta guy!). Can't tell you anything about price, check the blue book.

Also, if you have any other questions regarding this gun, Harley Nolden's Institute of Firearms Research (in TFL) is the best place to post it. Harley's got more answers than I have questions.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back