I need help with the value of my 870...

Mikey_b

Inactive
I spoke with one of the moderators and he okay'd the post...I'm strictly looking to just get a ballpark figure for what my 870 is worth on the private market since it's an "unusual" condition.

BTW...sorry for posting so excessively (regarding my join date haha).

I bought a synthetic matter black Express with the 18" barrel + full stock back in the early 2000s. This model...
http://www.remington.com/products/f...l-870/model-870-express-synthetic-18inch.aspx

The only thing I added was a 3 shot extension tube and a Pachmyer pistol grip...which surprisingly ended up being the exact same grip offered on the later 870 Pistol Grip model.

I spend 4 years in the Marines and after getting out, I took a hiatus from shooting for a bit. I recently decided to dust off the 870 that's been sitting at my father's house to see if anyone was interested in buying it.

Instead I find the barrel is missing. After some questioning I find that my younger brother decided to lend the barrel to another friend that also owned an 870 (but with 28"+ turkey/bird barrel) so this friend could have a shorter shotgun for camping. He decided to do this while I was deployed/Iraq back in 2007 and this friend has been impossible to track down. My brother's words: "I know you would never allow someone to borrow your gun...I figured just one part would be okay." Yeah....

So now I have a barrel less 870 that I want to sell.

I've done a bunch of googling but it's been difficult to find the value of a gun without a barrel. I was going to call a few local pawn or gun shops asking what should be a reasonable asking price but would rather get an opinion from fellow enthusiasts/shooters.

So what is a fair asking price for a used (but in great condition) barrel-less Remington Express receiver with a 3 shot extension (still have the original magazine cap) and a pistol grip?

I figured it could be an inexpensive base for someone wanting to build a tactical shotgun since it's tacti-cool black. haha

I appreciate it.

Last edited:
buy the barrel and put it away someplace, hand it down to your kids at a later date.

Looking back, I regret selling every gun I ever sold.

I'm getting out of powder guns altogether. I'm putting the money towards a .177 10m match rifle.

I'll probably fish around the $125-150 mark. Thanks a lot everyone.

Lucky it was an Express, and not a Wingmaster. After you kick your brother's a$$, and make him buy you a new barrel ($110.00 + shipping), you could sell the whole thing for $250.00 to $350.00.

Side note: Sent 2007 at & around Al Sad AB

You have some horrible luck. At least when I was in college my dad lost half my fly rod. Feeling guilty a few years later he bought me an even better combo. The week after he found it. Surprisingly neither new or old has made it to me.

Your options seem to be keep it, sell if for $150 knowing someones going to haggle you down to $100, Buy a new barrel and then let someone haggle you down to $250, or give it to your brother as a birthday present and let him deal with it.

Yeah, I'm not going to him my brother when he's down...he just took a hard hit to the wallet with taxes and spending 3K+ to get the family's GSP dog better (she's good now).

I'll get it out of his hide at a later time. :)

Replace the barrel and keep it. OR, replace the barrel before you try to sell it. If you look around you can often find used barrels for sale cheap.

You'll have a hard time selling the action without a barrel, so just get one and add it to your sale price.

It won't cost you anything in the long run

You'll have a hard time selling the action without a barrel, so just get one and add it to your sale price.

It won't cost you anything in the long run

Priced right he won't because someone else may want a different barrel length than what he buys.

Mike,
The hard part would be finding a buyer for "just" the receiver group, and here in California the sale would require paperwork & fees. I don't know what Washington would require.

You may want to check E Bay out. I've gotten butt stocks, forearms, and more than a couple of barrels, at pretty good prices...

Last edited:
The receiver is the "firearm"; if your state laws require a FFL for FTF, then you would need to follow all applicable laws.

Back