I need help to identify

Luckyfind

Inactive
I have a "knife-revolver" it has brevete S.G.D.G. on the blade ,there are no markings on the revolver.The revolver is 14 cm long, fires 6 bullets, possibly baker light outer casing and has wooden tipped bullets. Here are some pictures that may help 16112008(001).jpg

16112008(002).jpg

16112008(003).jpg

Last edited:
I can tell you it is French (Brevete SGDG means "Patented - without guarantee by the government"). What you describe does not sound like a real firearm, and the wood bullet ammunition sounds like blanks. Could you post any other markings and a picture if possible.

Jim

Can you post a picture of the cartridges?

Also, check your camera's user manual to see if it has a macro feature. This will allow you to take pictures that are close up but that are still nice and clear.

Terrible pictures! The handle is not Bakelight. It's probably buffalo or cow horn. Better pictures would help a lot. Why do you think it fires wooden bullets? It is a pinfire revolver.

Definitely a French pinfire revolver, and dating from sometime around the Civil War (afterwards, pinfires were abandoned in favour of percussion-cap systems). Winant's "Firearms Curiousa" shows a Belgian pinfire knife-pistol that looks fairly close to yours:

pinfireknife.jpg

knife pistol

A Belgian six-shot pinfire knife pistol, 6cm sighted octagonal barrel stamped EPROUVE, two-piece horn grips forming a pistol butt, 9.5cm blade stamped BREVETE SGDG and with the initials SB within a cartouche, folding trigger, and contained in an associated velvet lined box, together with a pair of epaulettes, a piece of chain and a clasp. "Gate" lacking from pistol and knife tip rounded
http://www.artfact.com/auction-lot/a-belgian-six-shot-pinfire-knife-pistol,-6cm-1-c-r8vspls5vk

They made those revolvers in both Belgium and France. The former will have Belgian proof marks but AFAIK only the French ones will have the SGDG marking as it was required by French law. (I don't know why they felt the need to say that patenting something did not mean it was guaranteed by the government, but I assume French lawmakers are no more rational than ours.)

Jim

Back