I NEED HELP!!! so torn :(

T_PRO_Z

my wife Is letting me get one gun of my choice up to 1300$. I have narrowed down the search to the following guns:

1.) all weather henry 45-70
2.) Mossberg 590 marine
3.) another smith and Wesson 500 mag ( I really like this firearm and I own 2 so a 3rd wouldn't hurt)
4.) Thompson center encore in .308 pistol version
5.) an ak variant of some sort

Please help me decide. right now I am leaning twords 1 & 3.

any help will be appreciated. also, I am not sure if this is the right thread page for this post and I am sorry if this is the case.

I would say it depends on what you have now and what the gun's purpose would be. But of those listed it would be a toss up for the Henry and the Mossberg. I would also consider a high quality AR variant with accessories. The Henry can be used for hunting, all 3 can do home defense duties depending on where your home is.

I would shop around and see if you could get two of the guns you want for your $1,300 budget. Cross off the 500 S&W as you have two and any others that you already have, might make your decision easier.

You might be able to get the Henry and the Mossberg within your budget, then tell the wife she should be proud of you for saving money. You got two guns and didn't spend any extra money, reverse psychology works!

Agreed, knock off the 500 if you already got 2. If you were torn between that and the Henry, I would get the Henry. I would ask what purpose you really need to be accomplished with this next gun. If it's just a fun gun or target shooter or SHTF gun, I would get the AK. But if it's for hunting, the Henry.

I would go with the AK, because I don't have one and I don't know how much longer they will be available to law abiding folk. Setting aside the political concerns the Henry would definitely be my first choice.

Is the henry close to $1300?

If I had to spend $1300 on a gun right now...
I'd probably buy a Tavor.
Some nice AK variants i that price range.

Sure seems to me like you could get 2-3 off your list for $1300

You get to do things your way.Everyone has different tastes.No disrespect to your choices,but I would not buy any of them.

Just me.

If I did not already have an M1 Garand,I might see if CMP has any to offer.That door is closing.

If I wanted a lever gun,I might look toward an old Marlin...I say Marlin because old Win prices are a bit elevated...or an old Savage 99.

If I wanted a 45-70,it might be a Pedersoli Sharps.

I think in shotguns,a Benelli semi-auto would get the nod over a Mossberg.

I'm the sort of guy who would put a $700 scope on a $600 rifle.

A really good spotting scope,Kowa comes to mind,is a thing of joy.I can see my bullet holes on a 300yd target,sight in precisely,and I only walk down range to retrieve it,Saves a lot of time.

OR,maybe,if I had a Wife that budgeted me $1300 ,I might nurture her as a shooting partner,if she had any interest.Let her get one,or two,just for her.

I never had interest in an AK,even when they were under $300.Its the same gun at $1300.But,thats just me

I can just about guarantee,if you work at spending it,the $1300 will be gone.

That's when something you REALLY want will come along.

Really,if you are torn,can't make up your mind...save the money.None of them look THAT good to you.

Last edited:
Without knowing what you already own it is hard say. Nothing wrong with any of those choices, but none fill a niche for me so I'd keep looking at other options.

Just guessing here,
But from the choices mentioned it would appear that none of them are to fill any particular need.
So it really doesn't matter much which one you choose.
Since they are on your list at all means you will enjoy owning one - any one.
Paste their names all on a dartboard and decide that way.
Where ever the dart lands will prove to be satisfactory.
See how simple life can be?
Hmm, wonder of that would work for picking a wife, too.

nice lol

but I have multiple guns for every need that one may have. the wife said I could only get one gun though, I have already asked if it was a 1300$ spending limit. if it was, I'd definitely go with the henry and maybe another 10/22 with the rest being spent on ammo. I have yet to decide, and I will be going to buds gun shop to order. thanks for the input guys, I think im going with the 45-70.

Back