I need help picking a scope for a Ruger Gunsite Scout

farmboy

I originally purchased my Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle to mount a scout style scope on it. After I've received and shot it, I've changed my mind. I want to add a traditional style scope.

Specifically, this is the one I purchased: http://grabagun.com/ruger-6830-m77gs-308-gunst-sct-mtblk.html

It only weighs 6 1/4 pounds, and the muzzle brake makes recoil very manageable, but I don't want to lose the portability of it by adding a scope that's hard to carry or use while walking about. I'd like to keep it in the 1-4x or 3-7x type scopes, and I'd like to keep it under $300. I know you get what you pay for. But my budget dictates what I pay for, and my budget says under $300.

What do you think?

Why do you want a traditional scope? Leatherwood makes a nice 2-7x scout scope and it's in your budget. For the power you are looking for it would be ideal.

Weaver makes a great little 1-3x24mm conventional scope that's nice and compact. I've owned two or three now, and love them. You can generally find them for just under $200.

If you want a scout scope, I like the Weaver K-4. I've got one on my GSR, and really like it. It's got enough eye relief to stay all the way in front of the action, and the 4x seems to be a good compromise power level for a scout scope. It's also around $200.

Neither of these are going to have tactical operator target knobs, or 56mm super light gathering Hubble inspired lenses, but Weaver makes a great product for a reasonable price. Mine aren't as bright or as tough as a Nightforce, but they hold adjustments and keep me hunting as long as there is legal light.

My only problem is that on all of mine, a quarter minute indicated adjustment isn't always a quarter minute on target. But, they're hunting scopes, I sight them when I change loads, and forget it.

Burris Fullfield II scope in 4.5-14 is great, in your price range. I bought one to see what $300 of scope would get you. I was so impressed that I bought another one. And it's a relatively short and light scope. Great in low light. Trust me on that.

Leupold VX-1 or VX-2.

The VX-1 is just over $200 and a bargain. The VX-2 is a little more, but not that much better. Both are offered in both 1-4X20 which would be my choice, and 2-7X32. Either will work, but on 1X you are faster for up close shots than with irons or a dot sight. 4X gives enough magnification for big game or personal defense out to at least 200-300 yards. Only weights 8 or 9 oz. Scopes with greater magnification will allow more precision on smaller targets at longer ranges, but cost and weigh more.

For all that I've used the old-days Leupolds in 3-9 and 2-7, I've never felt "under-scoped" with a Weaver K-4. :)

I took the forward rail off of my Scout and placed a TruGlo 3x9 luminated scope in the traditional manner however the distance between base locations required off set mounts. Other scopes may not have this difficulty. The TruGlo is nice because it is one of the few scopes where the lumination can be set just high enough to put cross hairs on a pig at night. I also changed the flash hider to a Daniel Defense to reduce downward dirt disturbing gasses. Now if they would only come out with a five round polymere mag in .223, the steel ten round mag is too long, too heavy and has sharp corners.

Ive had one of the VX-R patrol scopes for a while now. I think its a GREAT 3 gun type of scope.

I would NOT put it on a hunting or serious use rifle. The exposed turrets are too prone to being moved inadvertently. I (and others i work with) have seen as much as 1/2 rotation, just with the gun hanging on its sling against us.

Id hate to pull the rifle out of its bag in the trunk and not notice a 1/2 rotation off of zero

Thats a missed game animal (or worse) waiting to happen. I went with a Vortex 1-4 with CAPPED turrets instead. The Leupold now sits on a 22:cool:

this is what I put on mine...

attachment.php

Back