I need an opinion from you 1911 guys

joegerardi

I've always wanted a 1911-style pistol for plnking at the range and my gunshop has a 1927 Sistema Colt Argentina for $300.00. It's in really nice shape and I was wondering what you 1911 afficionados though of a deal like this?

If I get a 1911, I want an original design, not one with a beavertail, or enhanced sights, or front slide serrations, or anything like that. I want an "original equipment," so in all those respect, this puppy fits that bill.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

..Joe

The 1927 Sistem *IS* an authentic Colt 1911, built on Colt equipment, under license to Colt,in Argentina, with the same standards and quality as the 1927 Hartford Colts.

Its a good gun, with everything absolutely interchangeable with Colts of the same period.

The price is in the ballpark, but you can sometimes find them for a little less. If its as nice as you say, you can't go far wrong.

(I've seen a few used as an inexpensive basis for a custom gun; Wilson Custom has done guns based on this weapon for customers.)

What Walt said.

However, I don't think the price is in the ballpark. I think it's a homerun. $300 is low for a Model 1927 in "really nice shape". Go for it before your dealer reads this thread!

Do a search, these were discussed a while back. They are re-worked and re-finished, I'm interested since it should be one nice hunk of steel, but collector value is nil, hence the nice price. Search on CDNn, I believe that's the company marketing them. Then go immediately buy and give us a range report.

I'll come down on the buy side. If you can actually handle the gun and see that it's in excellent condition, $300 is a very reasonable price for that gun.

BUY IT.....

now....

After you get it, come and visit the 1911Forum for info on the care and feeding of the pistol.

I have one and I cannot say enough good about it. It has been updated with wilson hammer,extended beavertail and safety and a houge grip. I have all orignal parts. Great shooter. Buy it if not tell me who's got it for $300 I'll call him right now! I got room on the old Plastic :D

Which would be a better buy? The Hartford Colt or the Argentine Colt? I realize they are basically the same gun with slighlty different parts.My only use for one would be as a base for a custom carry piece.At these prices, you can't go wrong.Would Wilson parts fit better in one or the other?

Back