I need a single die

cdoc42

For some reason I lost my expander die for .380 Auto. My local dealer advised I contact RCBS. I did and they no longer make single dies available, advising I need to buy the entire $75+ three-die set. This makes little sense when my original 3-die set was less than $25. Anyway I found the die on a site called Adorama for less than $20 including shipping. I was just advised it is backordered which I interpret as unavailable. I checked the Lee Precision site to no avail.

Does anyone have any advice as to where I can get any single expander die for a .380 Auto?

For some reason I lost my expander die for .380 Auto. My local dealer advised I contact RCBS. I did and they no longer make single dies available, advising I need to buy the entire $75+ three-die set. This makes little sense when my original 3-die set was less than $25. Anyway I found the die on a site called Adorama for less than $20 including shipping. I was just advised it is backordered which I interpret as unavailable. I checked the Lee Precision site to no avail.

Does anyone have any advice as to where I can get any single expander die for a .380 Auto?
Use a 9mm expander die.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

RCBS I think they make theirs dies out of gold to charge that price. Lee is pretty good there shop is about 3 hours away.

Lee part number 90492, Lyman part number 7342081. The Lyman die can be used for .380, 38 Super, 9mm and 9x23. Looks like several vendors have both dies in stock.

Also take a look at the Lyman Multi-expander Die. It provides M-type profiles for all the common pistol calibers and the expanders are hollow to allow you powder-through dispensing of charges if you chose to.

:)
Also take a look at the Lyman Multi-expander Die. It provides M-type profiles for all the common pistol calibers and the expanders are hollow to allow you powder-through dispensing of charges if you chose to.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Good advice. I'd forgotten about that one!:):)

Update: I just checked the Lyman site: $27.50. I went to Amazon and found it for $19.99, free shipping (Amazon prime) and it will be at my house tomorrow.

Thanks to all - you've been very helpful!

(I'll bet as soon as it arrives I'll find my lost die.......)

I think you'll like that die. It makes the nice little steps just under the flare that let you set the bullets squarely upright for seating. That, in turn, eliminates the bullet tilting that is responsible for unevenness in the slight bulge you see around the case over top of the bottom edge of the seated bullet. You still get a little because the brass in most cases isn't perfectly uniform in thickness, but it is much better than getting the ones that bulge on one side and not at all at the other which don't group as well except in DE wadcutters, which don't seem to care much.

I'll look forward to that! I've just loaded 200 of .380-auto and I've certainly seen the bumps you describe. Altho everything chambers without a problem, it now explains flyers unless I want to blame myself.

Love mine. I don't use the flare as its 30 cal rifle, but I got rid of the damned jerk on the dies from the expander ball.

Another step but no more yank and jerk. Worth twice as many pennies .

Lee sells single dies.

, but I got rid of the damned jerk on the dies from the expander ball.
But not the jerk on the other end of the press handle! :rolleyes::D
(sorry, couldn't resist...)

I agree when the expander ball drags, its a pain in the butt, BUT its also a sign to lube things a little more....

Maybe clean some things, especially if the jerk includes a "crunch" kind of sound.

Back