I must be calming down...latest high power rifle purchase

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
Just dropped $60 on a Daisy "break-barrel" single shot pellet gun. Always wanted on like it as a kid, so I jumped at the chance to get a refurbished one. So far it works. Sights could use an outline but it seems accurate enough to 10m. With earmuffs on I can feel the shot but not hear it.

Damn, Oleg, you're getting into the heavy hitters now.
biggrin.gif

I rightly reasoned that a quiet, high-power (have you seen the receiver on those rifles: *THICK*) is just the ticket. I heard on CNN that these can defeat Bradley armor at 300m AND turn its crews into cat-food. For MBTs I will just have to call in DC with her .22WMR

Recoil is actually noticable...I think I just feel the heavy piston shifting inside. That gun, in effect, fires from an open bolt.

Hope to use it for indoor practice and for teaching kids. My mother might be tempted to use it in her border war against chipmunks that eat her flowers...though a .22 short may well be more effective.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sensop:
Hmph. All moderators. That explains it.[/quote]

Keep it up Sensop and we'll have Oleg's wife send the chipmunks over to conspire with the moles at your place. Think you and the Cat can handle THAT?!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Don't knock these little guns. They're surprisingly accurate, and the skills that you practice are actually useful in regular rifle practice. They're great for grackles, too.

And I resemble that remark!

While on this subject, I have seen in shotgun news a similar pellet rifle advertised as "a quality copy of the RWS/Diana Models 48/52", which I want. It doesn't really say a brand name, but the price is siginificantly better than the 48/52. Does anyone know if these are in fact as accurate and of as high a quality as the RWSs? I have a model 34 in .177 currently, and it works reasonably well, but I want even more accuracy and a .22 cal to help defeat the nearly constant windy conditions here.

Oh boy ... I can see it now ... next TFL thread is 'Largest game taken with a BB gun'.
wink.gif

To be honest, just this am I've used a Benjamin Sheridan ( .22 air rifle) to send three wascally wabbits to the promised land ... where they hopefully don't care about their landscaping ...
wink.gif

Regards from AZ

Sheridan? Did someone say Sheridan?
cool.gif

I have a Sheridan "Blue Streak" that I've had for years. It uses 5mm (.20 cal) pellets. I think mine was made before Benjamin acquired them. What a neat and handy little air rifle.

I also have a Webley "Tempest" .177 pistol.

Oh, yes... I do love my pneumatics, too.
smile.gif

Cliff

An air rifle is surprisingly powerful. I've got a .177 advertised at 1000fps, breach break, single pump. I don't think it's actually 1000fps, but it will send a pointed pellet clean through 5/8" of plywood from ten yards.

Compressed air as a power source for projectiles is comparable to ignitable powders. In the 18th and 19th centuries air rifles in something like .30 caliber were used for hunting and by some armed forces. Large animals, moose, elk, stags, etc., were regularly killed with these guns. Merriwether Lewis, of Lewis and Clark, brought an air rifle, .30 caliber or so as I recall, along on the expedition and never failed to amaze Indians with it.

I've wondered why manufactures don't make air rifles in larger calibers today. They certainly could if they tried. My guesses are that they anticipate legal restrictions closing down their markets quickly, and/or that rifle-sized air guns in larger calibers lag much more behind modern powders than older air guns did their black powder contemporaries. But I don't really know.

Dont forget that Air Rifles were used to great effect in the Nepolean Wars...
Snipers had caused so much damage and horro with these big BB guns that any man caught with an air rifle was to be executed.

Any member care to elaborate on this?

Dunno about the Napoleonic wars, but airguns featured prominently in a couple of Sherlock Holmes stories as an assassin's preferred weapon.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Oleg Volk:
Always wanted on like it as a kid, so I jumped at the chance to get a refurbished one.[/quote]
cool.gif
Your as old as you feel big guy!
cool.gif

George - I read an article a while back about the use of air rifles in the Napoleanic wars.

Napolean did well and truly hate the things and you're correct about the execution order.

The article had a picture of one - the air chamber was attached roughly where a modern rifle magazine would be inserted and bore a very strong resemblance to a powder flask. I can't remember how they charged it.

I looked for the article but couldn't find it. *sigh* It's here. Somewhere.

Typical.
smile.gif

Cliff

I have my Daisy outfitted with a Pachmyer recoil pad, and a 12-42x56 Nightforce Scope. I had McMillan customize the stock for me and installed custom Volquartsen bull barrel. The trigger group has been replaced with a Jewel trigger I had made for me. I also modified a Harris Bi-Pod so it fits properly on the front. As an added bonus I had Bear-tooth products customize a stock guard that enables me to hold eight .177 caliber pellets in little teenie weenie bullet holders. If I need to do some quick reloading, they are always handy.

With this setup I can achieve sub MOA groupings at 10 feet with my scope on max power.

I'm just kidding of course...

WinMag

Better get'em while you can and LOTS of ammo! At least reloading is cheap
biggrin.gif

See the legal forum for more distressing info

So what IS the biggest critter taken with an air-driven pellet gun?

George,

It was the Austrians who incurred Napolean's wrath by forming a special troop of shrpshooters using pneumatic guns designed by Batholomeo Girandoni during the closing years of the 18th Century. These weapons were 51 caliber pre-charged rifles with magazines holding 20 lead balls and an effective range of 150 yards. I have no information on the charging method used, but most air guns of the time were "pressurized" using specially adapted bellows.

Largest game taken, weeeeeelllll, Landgrave Ludwig VIII of Hesse (now Germany) was a committed air-gunner and by 1750 had racked up an impressive array of deer and wild boar with his "pellet guns".

So what is state of the art today ??, enter the Stealth A-8SRB marketed by the Swivel Machine works in Milford CT. The SRB shoots bullets using CO2 while the original A-8S shoots arrows using the same propulsive means. It looks a little like an M4 and can quite comfortably take deer, hog or Turkey. BB guns they ain't.

Regards,

Mike H

The Benjamin/Sheridan Blue Streak in .20 cal., for me anyway, is amazingly accurate within 50 yards. I have a real problem with crows, starlings, opossums, groundhogs, and yes, even raccoons. Except for the starlings, all of these critters require a head shot.

I know you are saying, why aren't you using a .22, well were I live, that is a no no.

At six pumps the Blue Streak is most accurate. I don't think the extra 2 more pumps (up to 8) adds that much more velocity and accuracy seems to fall off for some reason.

Ah - Mike H, you are right - it was the Austrians... Thank you.
If I remember right the airgunners had a pump device that they carried for recharging...
Very interesting concept - military airguns.

L Ron Hubbard wrote a very interesting little book called "Final Blackout" or something like that - read it many moons ago.
It was about a fellow named "The Leutenant". No proper name ever given. Taking place in some odd post-appocoliptic time period, these soldiers under the admirable leadership of the Lt packed with them pneumatic machineguns which they used to good effect.
Good book - fast light read.

Back