I must be a real tough guy

speed

Guy's and gal's,

Please tell me if I am out of line but I have recentlly been considering purchasing a scandium J frame revolver from smith -n -wesson and have heard nothing but horror stories about the unbearable recoil and uselesness of this design.

I disagree,...... I borowed a friends and I must admit I had no problem's whatsoever handling the weapon and did not find much of a difference in felt recoil.

I find ....politics aside.......that the scandium line is awesome.....do you guy's not see or feel the advantage's?...am I alone here ?......really it's not that bad!....please fill me in as to whether this is a political thing or some sort of tradisionalist thing (which I can respect by the way) or in fact do you guy's really feel that the recoil is just to much to deal with?

By the way, I do not have huge hands or anything and I do not feel that I have some incredible tolerance for pain I just feel that for what these gun's are designed for they can't be beat.

Please responed and explain your experince's

Regarding weight: How light is light enough? Is a scandium-weight revolver enough of an advantage over a titanium-weight revolver to be worth the bother of developing it in the first place? I dunno...I'm really asking. :)

I guess any technological advance has a worth for it's own sake, "just to see if we can do it", regardless of whether it provides any 'real-world' edge over existing technology.

As for the other advantages of scandium, I don't even know what they might be. I'm new. :) How bout a quick review for me?

Nevermind, jeez, I can't wait around forever for youse guys. :D

A quick review of the forum reveals that scandium makes for a stronger aluminum alloy. Ok, that's good. But...is it stronger than the titanium options? Or just stronger by weight?

Then again, if it's stronger, but painful to shoot, who's gonna wear it out anyway?

I guess that's where you come in, speed. :)

If you can put 5 shots in 5" circle in 5 seconds at ten yards with either hand and full power loads.......then the gun is probably not too light for you.

Their political position still precludes my trying one.

Sam

Indeed... :cool:

And as for that Yankee remark, well! Um...I don't follow sports. :p

Last edited:
It is not the so called recoil that is bad, but the flash and blast that comes out of the .357 magnum snubbies that are too much.

Recovery time between shots is too slow when trying to make rapid aimed shots. Especially at night.

The .38 is fine for a snub. The .357 Mag is too much blast for too little gain in velocity.

There is not even a need for +P rounds as you do not get enough velocity out of a snubby for reliable expansion of hollowpoints anyway.

Standard 158gr cast SWC are best for the snubs.

If you got to have the +P hollowpoints in a .38 special, then go with the full size .38 revolver with 4" to 6" barrel.

If you got to have a snubby and the standard .38 Special is not enough gun for you, then I recommend the Charter Arms .44 Bulldog revolver.

Speed,
The scandium guns are very nice. I would love a 357 snubbie in the alloy. Get what you want, like Sam said, if you can shoot it.
shoot well

Back