I might try hunting with these nex fall

salvadore

I have a Thompson muzzle loader in .54 caliber that was a gift from my brother 30 years ago, I have never fired the rifle, and it came with a set of maxi ball mold and a set of round ball mold. Oh yeah, a double set trigger however it will not cock.
While scratching around in the back of my closet I also found a CVA muzzle loader in .58 cal. it has a 1/66 twist and I found about 100 .565 round balls and some patching. I've shot the CVA in the past and got excellent 100yd groups. I checked a black powder loading manual but could not find anything for .58 1/66 or the 54cal Thompson. Anyone ever load for any of these rifles or has some useful info I would appreciate it.

There should be a small adjustment screw in the trigger plate for the double set triggers. If that is missing you might have some difficulty setting the triggers. Also check the back of the lock. It might need some lube and a light cleaning. For a load, start out at 65 gr and go up from there 5 grains at a time to find what the rifle likes.:cool:

Good choice. ... !!!

I'm going to take a guess on you having a TC Renegade, in .54. The general rule of thumb, on these long-guns. Is to make the Min. load at the caliber and the max, at 2X the Min. or in your case, 54 to 108. Depending on your shot-string, your optimum hunting and target load, will fall in between these two. My TC manual for a Maxi-ball, 360Gr, and FFG, is showing 90-120. Do not exceed the 120. ... :(

There are many places to find loading data and if you contact TC, they may still be able to provide you with a manual for your .54, free of charge. ... :)

Now, on your lock; what isn't cocking, the double set or the single "hunter"? There cod be a number of reasons for this and the last one I had, was a loose internal part. These are fairly easy to work on but parts are getting rarer. .. ;)

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!

I checked the THompson barrel length @ 29". It has a patch box in the right hand side of the buttstock, full of 30 year old lubed patches. THe double set triggers has the adjustment screw. Upon removing the lock I squirted some kroil on the internals and worked the lock sans trigger, it has a definite catch. If I unscrew the lock screw a bit cocking the piece is possible and the double set triggers work. There is no Renegade or Hawkins stamped anywhere on the shooter that I can find. Are suggested loads for RB or MB? any info is appreciated.

I had a T/C New Englander .54 (1/48) at one time.....shot very well with 90 grains/volume of Goex 2F under a Hornady Great Plains Bullet. Lit with a CCI #11 mag cap.
She sure would thump a deer with that load. Let a buddy talk me out of it.....:rolleyes:

Greatplains_lg.jpg

TC set trigger

"I checked the THompson barrel length @ 29". It has a patch box in the right hand side of the buttstock, full of 30 year old lubed patches. THe double set triggers has the adjustment screw. Upon removing the lock I squirted some kroil on the internals and worked the lock sans trigger, it has a definite catch. If I unscrew the lock screw a bit cocking the piece is possible and the double set triggers work. There is no Renegade or Hawkins stamped anywhere on the shooter that I can find. Are suggested loads for RB or MB? any info is appreciated. "
---------------------
most all set triggers.
Lay a piece of rubber or leather over nipple to cushioning the blow of the hammer.
start with the screw just touching the internals. Then turn the screw 1/8 turn in cock the hammer, watch the trigger set., pull the trigger, testing the pull to your liking. adjust in or out accordingly. Never turn in so far hammer will fall if rifle will discharge if butt is jarred. turning too far in will wear off the sear. You will still want a reasonable pressure on trigger to discharge/
As to the load
start at 60 or 65 grain 2f powder. then work up when you frouping starts to scatter, go back 5 grains. then play with one or two if you feel you must.
120 g is normally the max for T/C in 54 cal.
But max does not equate to accuracy.
Round, mini, or maxi is the same procedure. You have to work out the load and sight in for each.

Thanks RC/DD for the loading info and for the set trigger set up. I'm gonna try and post a pic of both of the M/Ls and see if anyone can identify the Thompson's model.

It's got to be a Pre-Stamp TC Hawken model

There is no Renegade or Hawkins stamped anywhere on the shooter that I can find. Are suggested loads for RB or MB? any info is appreciated.
By your description, it looks like you have a "Pre-Stamp" Hawken model. Now, that is good for you as these are more desirable. The default is a 1: 48 twist and your have a 28-1/2" barrel. ... :)

As for the set trigger, it can be adjusted and checked, with or without cocking the hammer. When using the set, you actually have two trigger, in series. You can use either or just the front trigger without the set, mostly for hunting situations. ... :o

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
120 grains is max......hmmmmm

I have the .50 cal 1/66 Thompson Hawken and for round balls I use 140grains of FFg to get her grouped right.

Thanks Pahoo, I believe my brother bought it new around 1980, but it could have been a little earlier. Thanks for the file Gemmer, looks like a cornucopia of info.

Hartcreek, I shot the CVA .58 cal yesterday with .565 RB with 75 grs equivalent pyrodex RS. Very casual but seems to be fairly accurate.

Thanks gang.

I have an original 1863 Springfield 58cal. that I took hunting last year. I didn't get a chance to shoot a deer. I use 70 grns. ffg and a mini ball. When the season was over I fired the gun at a card board Target at 70 yds. it was tacked to a PT 4"x 4" fence post. Well I hit the target about 2" below bulls eye, that was good. But it totally blew the PT 4"x 4" to pieces. Cut it completely in half looked like it got hit by lightning. Deer would have been chopped meat. A lot of gun for deer hunting. I figured a head shot or neck shot would be the best if you don't want to mount it.

This is the brute.

000_0641-1.jpg

Back