I Made My Own Small Flash Hole Decap Die

RC20

I had been looking for a small flash hole decaper, you have to get the Decap and then buy small pin or shaft separately. Extremely annoying as its a 5 dollar dollar part and Amazon does not have them so cost 3 X the price to ship it vs the darned cost - Grrrr.

So, I do have the Lee Universal Decap Die, I ran a deformed shell through it, tried to force it and bent the pin on the end of the shaft.

Ok, not big deal, Amazon does have those shaft (pin is integral on the end). But then the wheels started turning (better late than never sometimes!)

Ok, it really bent and it did not snap off. It must be fairly soft.

I can heat it, straighten it and I can turn down that end and make it under .060 and small flash hole.

Yep, heating and straighten went good, still a bit off true straight but.....

I chucked the shaft up in the cordless drill, tried sand paper, not so good, tried plumpbers tape (for copper rough up for solder work), no good either.

Hmm, what if I get out one of my files and turn it?

Ok, this works but its kind of slow, what if I move the file back and forth while I run the drill? Eureka!!!!!!

So not only did I mill it down to Small Flash hole, the milling removed any wobble and its straight.

I could heat treat it but........

So I have another large Lee Universal on the way, a spare full sized shaft just in case.

I could use the what is small flash holder decap on the large primer/hole type (tested carefully) but no reason to wreck what works and the large one will not easily bend (I really did force it). I suspect you can't go to that straighten it out part more than once or twice.

This is what I did with my RCBS decap die and my Hornady Custom grade die set for Lapua 308 Palma brass. I just chucked my pin in the drill press and turned it on. Then used a file to remove material until it would fit through the flash hole. Then used 1500 grit sandpaper to polish it. The Hornady pin was relatively soft. I hardened and tempered it and have not bent one since doing that. I had bent several in the past.

Ok, next one gets hardened.

I tried to decap a crimped in primer (military brass) and it broke the pin off!. Good news is the spare pin arrived that day.

I am mostly de-capping large primers right now so will wait for the next die before I mill the pin down.

Will harden both of them at the same time

Back