I love my wheelers but.....

Road_Clam

Cleaning and deleading the forcing cone is such a PIA !!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's not too bad on my 460 S&W mag as there is a decent gap between the top of the cone and the frame where I can get a strip of deleading cloth and rub it out, but last night I did a total strip and clean on my Ruger GP100 and there is BARELY enough space to get the cloth in the same spot. I also experimented with Mothers mag polish on the front face of the cylinder as opposed to deleading cloth and that worked awesome. Was wondering if any of you had any tricks to cleaning the forcing cone. I've tried many chemicals and none really work effectively on that thick blackish lead film buildup.

The deleading cloth does work very well but it's a LOT of rubbing to get the lead off, does anyone know how those lead cloths work ? Are they just some type of polishing componud ? They smell kinda funny as well.

I am an avid revolver shooter who casts and handloads all my ammunition. I shoot 72 rounds every day, May through October and sometimes after that on warmer days. I have zero problems with lead build-up on the forcing cone.

If you are having lead build-up, it is for some other reason than your gun is a revolver. Have you measured your cylinder throats? A common cause of leading problems in revolvers is cylinder throats that are smaller than the bore of the barrel.

Back