I know it ain't much, but would like more info.

n5lyc

Hi, I recently came into possession of a Ruby type pistol.

I know they aren't worth much, I just wonder who made it, or country of origin, or possible year range.

I have seen many of them before, but this one has no info anywhere on it except a serial number, 804, under the muzzle, under the left grip panel, and under the slide behind the firing pin.

I have been over it with a strong light and a magnifier, looking for lettering or proof stamps that might have been taken out by sanding,or filing. But cannot see any.

The only difference I can really find between it and others I have seen is the way the lanyard loop is attached., and it is plated..
I have not seen that mounting on any I have handled.

Maybe someone can help narrow down the manufacturer my that.

I am crosseyed from looking at google photos of old Ruby pistols, but none I have seen have that stud mounting..

Thank you in advance.

Ian
qq3g4n.jpg

1z9biv.jpg

ot0kz7.jpg

257jfw0.jpg

1g6h7a.jpg

Last edited:
JUst a quick comment that while those guns resemble the Colt 1903 and its larger cousin, the FN Model 1903, they are not copies. There are several major differences, and no parts interchange with the American or Belgian guns. In fact, few parts will interchange among the guns made by the various "Ruby" manufacturers, and in many cases parts will not even interchange between guns by the same maker due to the large amount of hand fitting in the Spanish arms industry of the time.

Jim

Based on the contour of the backstrap, and the nine cuts and placement of the slide serrations, your pistol most closely resembles an Hijos de Calixto Arrizabalaga "Pistola Automatica", apparently made in Eibar. It also features the same lanyard swivel as your pistol.

(Ref: No. 272, P. 100, Mathews Firearms Identification Volume II, second printing, 1973.)

It's possible that the slide was surface ground at one time in its history and all the markings were obliterated.

Back