I just got an Springfield M1A. Have a few questions.

theprisoner

There seems to be a lot of people buying these rifles lately so I had to get one too but I have few questions
about the rifle. #1 What do you all suggest as far as
break in procedure for the the barrel (it is a carbon steel national
match) #2 Is dry fire OK for this rifle? #3 What do you guys think of
the
Springfield 6x goverment scope and the third gen mount? #4 Are there any accessories I should buy or have (besides 20rnd mags). Thanks in advance for any input.

------------------
I AM NOT NUMBER! I AM A FREE MAN!

Hey prisoner - Welcome to M1A ownership! I suggest you break in the barrel in the same manner you would any other carbon or stainless steel barrel. Chrome barrels are a different story. The following is what I have done for all of my rifle barrels over the years and I do believe it helps with accuracy and barrel life.

First, use a full jacketed bullet so you don't have to deal with leading of the barrel. (And no moly treated bullets during the breakin).

Second, thoroughly clean the barrel using a good solvent, brass brush and plenty of patches. Then (optional but recommended) use some JB bore compound on a patch wrapped tightly around an old .30 caliber brush and pass it through the bore (back and forth = one pass) at least 25 times. This will perform a pseudo-lapping and hopefully remove or reduce any surface imperfections in the bore. Clean the bore with solvent and patch dry.

Third, begin shooting. After each of the first 20 shots, clean the bore thoroughly with brush, solvent and patches. After this ETERNALLY long process, start cleaning after each 5 shots for 25 rounds, then after each 10 shots for 50 rounds.

Now, clean the barrel again with the JB bore paste, patch clean with solvent, and dry.

As far as I am concerned, you have "broken in" your barrel. Using this method will decrease the lead and copper fouling in the bore making future cleanings easier and enhance accuracy through forming a more symetrical bore surface.

P.S. I would recommend that you clean your entire rifle per the manufacturer's recommendations thereafter.

Best of luck and enjoy your M1A.

Prisoner, I would get a bore guide(Dewey) or make one out of a 12ga. shell, drill out the primer hole to just over rod diameter and it fits snugly over the flash hider. Brownells also sells one that fits inside a reamed NM flash hider, I'm not sure if the loaded package has the NM hider. I also highly recommend a Dewey or Boretech coated cleaning rod due to cleaning from the muzzle, it offers more protection. An action insert or even a stripper clip to hold bolt open to prevent bolt from closing when you bump it with the rod. A rod stop would work as well but I prefer the action insert to keep solvent, dirt and the like out of the action. The gun will handle lots of snapping but I still use dry firing devices like what Fulton Armory sells for both the M14 and AR rifles. www.fulton-armory.com

I can't recommend Scott Duff's M-14 Owners Guide enough for the care and feeding of your M1A. www.scott-duff.com

I can't comment on the scope mounts as I shot irons with mine and never tried one. The finest mount that I've heard of or know about is the Brookfield Precision 3 point mount. I've heard they are hard to come by and somewhat pricey. If I can locate one I'll post it, I believe there is someone in Shotgun News that advertises them like Northridge Inetrnational or something like that.

Brian

[This message has been edited by Mouse Gun (edited March 08, 2000).]

I agree with the above comments. I use a SA 3rd Gen mount on my rifle, with a Leupold fixed 6x. Both have done everything I've asked of them. I have HEARD (no personal observation) that the SA scopes are of good quality, but overpriced relative to other makers on the market.

SA Scott

Mouse Gun:
You've already got the place to find the Brookfield mount. Fulton Armory sells them as well as the McCann mount which I understand is also an outstanding mount. Both are, however, pricey as you noted.

------------------
If you're not a little upset with the way the world is going, you're not paying attention.

Back