I just enjoy saying "300 H&H"

SaxonPig

About 25 years ago I was in a gun shop with a friend. They had a discount table with a bunch of odds and ends including maybe half a dozen boxes of 300 H&H ammo they were clearing out.

My friend said I should buy it since it was so cheap. I reminded him that I didn't own a rifle in that caliber.

"It's only a matter of time," he replied.

I thought about that incident last year when I bought this.

standard.jpg

300 HH sure brings a chuckle to my heart.
Had a buddy buy one years ago for Texas white tail deer.
The 1st deer he shot had a tag on the box of meat from the processor that read "To DAM much gun"
I was on the same lease and saw the deer that morning.
About 75 yards, hit it in the shoulder and blew both shoulders all too hell.:eek:
Soon afterward he moved to a lease in west Texas and started hunting mule deer. That big 300 worked good out there at the long ranges they hunt at.

SaxP, is that one of Cabela's 50th Anniversary models? I bought one of those about a year ago. I didn't shoot it much last summer, so can't say much about accuracy. I tried several factory loads. Hornady Custom 180 grainers moved out at 2900 and kicked the snot out of me at the bench. I'm gonna do some handloading next summer, a good way to moderate the H&H for target shooting or hunting deer. I am mainly intersted in seeing how well this No. 1 will shoot. Groups at the bench, that is.

Thats a beautiful gun shooting an elegant looking cartridge. About as close to a perfect match as I can think of.

Do they still make them in this chambering? Or have they, as with the .303, discontinued this particular relic of Empire? Because I want one.

My absolute favorite caliber ever. I bought a Rem 721 in 300 h&h and it is the smoothest action I have ever handled. Very low recoil with a pachmeyer decelerator. I have loaded it down to 100 grn bullets and up to 200 with awesome results. It is my favorite long range gun. The next custom gun I build will be a 300 just because of the accuracy and range if loads that work so well in it.

Back