I just bought a near mint condition Colt Official Police revolver

NICE! I love the old Colts... Over the summer I picked up a mint 1970 Colt AGENT with a colt hammer shroud, I put eagle ss grips on it and it is one sweet piece ;)

The "OP" as they were called, is a rugged Colt revolver that served thousands of police officers well for many, many years.

Initially they went hand in hand with the .38 Spl. 158gr. lead RN round.

Their off-duty counterpart was the Colt Detective Special. Many police departments issued both revolvers to it's members.

The 6" version served the NJ State Police well for a long time.

If I were to find a "near mint condition" OP, it would spend the rest of it's days in my safe, safe and sound. :D

Salt, Congratulations on getting a true classic - -

Immediate successor to the turn of the century Colt Army Special, the Colt OP was not quite as popular amongst law enforcement as the S&W Military & Police, probably because it was a bit larger and heavier a burden. The upside of the tradeoff was that the OP could handle the heavy .38-44 high speed loads that were the immediate precursor of the .357 magnum. They were NOT recomended for use in lighter-framed revolvers like the Colt Police Positive and S&W M&P. S&W wanted people to shoot 'em in their .44 frame guns only, but savvy cops and outdoors types learned early that the OP handled such loads with ease.

Of course, this same frame was used for the Officers Model Match and Officers Model Special target guns. Those, in turn, evolved into the Trooper, Three-Fifty-Seven, and ultimately the Python models.

Give us the serial number range of your revolver and one of us will be able to tell you the year of manufacture.

Best,
Johnny

Your Colt was manufactured in 1956 - -

- - -According to the lists in The Book of Colt Firearms, by Southerland and Wilson. Range in that year was 843000 to 850999.

Best,
Johnny

Yes Sam,

Colt called this the 41 frame, available chamberings for the Army Special included the 41 Long Colt. During the 30's Colt advertised that the OP could handle the 38/44.

This frame also gracefully handled the old 32-20 high speed loads, some of which were far too hot for the Police Positive (38 frame) Colt revolvers so chambered.

Bob

I have a

Beautful Officers Model Match in 38 special that resides in my gunsafe. This was the target model of the official police. It is a wonderful example of the gunmakers art and has a real nice action. It shoots as good as it looks too. this ones a keeper and a great target paper puncher. :)

Salt - - -

- -- I've always loved the older Colts, and for a person who is not a Colt collector, I have owned a fair number. In my younger days, I was constantly swapping back and forth, or selling something to get something else.

I guess I've owned something over 50 Colt handguns- - -

New Service .45 Colt
New Service .44 Special
1917 .45 ACP
1851 Navy .36 (late)
SAA .45 (2)
SAA .44-40
SAA .44 Special
New Frontier .45 Colt
Police Positive .38 (2)
Detective Special .38 (2)
Cobra (2" and 3")
Official Police (4) 4, 5, and 6")
Officers Model Match
Three-Fifty-Seven (pre-Trooper)
Trooper .357
Lawman
1903 Hammerless .32 auto (4 or 5)
1908 Hammerless .380 auto (3)
Model 1911 and 1911A1 military (several, incl. Colt,
US&S, Remington Rand, and Ithaca)
Government Model 1911 commercial
Government Model 1911A1 commercial (several)
Super .38
National Match (pre-gold Cup) (3)
Series 80 Gold Cup
Commander .45 (3)
Commander Super .38 LW
Officers ACP LW
Woodsman .22 pre-war
Challenger .22

And two Colt .22/45 conversion units, two AR-15s,
and one parts gun which was combination
Savage and Colt.

Sure wish I had all these back. I do still have a few

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine over the yers.

Best,
Johnny

Back