I have seen the light!

Pond James Pond

Did my first ever revolver IPSC match on Sunday evening.

Need I say more?

OK.... just a bit.

I ran .44Spl out of a Redhawk that I decided to run on impulse in lieu of my CZ: the rationale being that if I screw up on technique and get a DQ for example, better lose 1 match point, not 2 on a Level 2 match.

So after a mere 3 stages, I realised that I needed to work on my trigger control, my sights were off (forgotten I'd set them for a .240gr rocket load at 25yds!!), my reloads (complete with cobbled-together speedloader pouch and spent case pocket) needing no small amount of honing but above all I realise I absolutely love running a revolver in matches: what great fun!!

And... kudos to those that run them fast: the six-shot limit really makes you think hard about when and where to reload and one missed shot can really throw your planning!

I'm still going to do pistol matches, but I'm going to incorporate more wheel-gun sessions. Another is already lined up for mid Feb: Level 2!!

I've quit finishing matches knowing WHICH technique I need to work on. I always need to work on ALL of them. It's just a question of how much. Glad you enjoyed shooting the match! I don't know if I woulda chosen a Redhawk for my IDPA Revolver, but the idea IS to show up with whatever you have, and combine some serious learning with some semi-serious shooting. I don't recall the "power floor" for revolvers in IDPA, but I can imagine downloading .44 Spl. to near the lower limit, and being able to SEE your projectiles strike the target!

Because factory .38 specials were too weak to make minor, IDPA lowered it to a 105 floor, for woosies. IPSC is still 125 for Minor and 170 for Major.

9x45 said:
Because factory .38 specials were too weak to make minor, IDPA lowered it to a 105 floor, for woosies.

When IDPA lowered the floor, many SSR shooters tweaked their loads lower but quickly found there were too many compromises. As a result, most IDPA revo shooters I know run the PF they used to run.

Pond said:
the six-shot limit really makes you think hard about when and where to reload and one missed shot can really throw your planning!

Good on ya'. Pond. Running a revolver in competition is fun, but, as you discovered, you've really got to do the basics well. Competitive wheelgunners live and die by the reload. A miss on steel is generally very bad juju as well. ;)

Back