I have mags that click and clack...

After reading the how many mags do you CCW carry thread I'd thought I'd ask this.

The spare mag that I normally carry tends to make quite a racket when I walk. I have a S&W 669 which I carry IWB. The spare mag is in weak side Safariland holster. All 5 of the mags I've tried seem to do this. All are S&W 12 rounders.

Any ideas?

Thanks...

------------------
Peace through superior firepower...
Keith

If the 2nd is antiquated, what will happen to the rest.
"the right to keep and bear arms."

The clicking is because there is a loose round in the magazine. I find that my ten round mags do this for ruger and S&W (9mm)
It has something to do with the way the rounds fit in a double stack magazine.

Taking one out may cure the problem.

------------------
Master Blaster

Removing a round in a hi-power magazine doesn't always seem to help me. I have found that packing the magazine after every third round by smacking the base on something to settle the rounds helps a lot. I have also had some success with extra-power Wolff magazine springs. I am fortunate that I have a single hi-power magazine that I use in my carry gun that not only holds 14 rounds rather than 13, but it will not rattle no matter how many or what type of rounds it holds. It has no markings and I can't really see that it's any different than any other hi-power magazine that I have ever seen. If I could find more like it, I would buy them all. I live in Indianapolis, too, KAM. E-mail me and we'll go shoot hi-powers sometime.

S&W Third Gen are notirious for clicking. Nothing I tried would alleviate the problem, not changing followers and springs, sanding the inside of the tube, ntohing. Some P228 and Glock 19 postban mags do the same. One in the pistol the clatter stops, however. Consider it your mags' way of telling you they want to go to the range.

taking out 1 round makes the clicking go away.

Though I'm disappointed that I can only carry 24 rnds total instead of 25. No just kidding. Maybe I'll just carry another mag.

thanks all

------------------
Peace through superior firepower...
Keith

If the 2nd is antiquated, what will happen to the rest.
"the right to keep and bear arms."

Back