I have become a "Safe" gun owner

Hal

Picked it up today, all 350 pounds of it. 1 hernia and a lot of sweat later it is now in the downstairs family room. Great addition. It was a tough decision to choose between the Browning safe and the Kimber stainless, but reason won out. I figure what good is the Kimber if it is stolen.

------------------
Want to feel your age?Check it out. http://web.superb.net/boy/age1.html

Congratulations on your purchase. About that hernia, when I finaly bought my gun safe I had to take it up a flight of stairs. Ended up with a stress fracture to my hip. No surgery but I spent 7 weeks on crutches and some time on a cane. Some things are best left to the pros: piano movers.

At 6'5" and with an F-250, I get roped into moving a LOT of stuff for a LOT of friends. I moved a big Browning up a flight of stairs a couple of years ago and found that the greatest thing since sliced bread is those "Refrigerator Mover" dollies with the strap that cams down tight to the appliance or safe. It has strange rollers on the back that are made of fanbelts over pullies, so that you can drag it over risers on stairs. If you get a buddy pushing from the bottem while you pull from the top, you can really move a LOT of weight up a stairwell.

They rent from U-Haul for $10/day, and that's the cheapest insurance I've ever spent to prevent doctor's visits.

Did you get the dehumidifier, to?

Long Path, I used one of those dollies (got it at a garage sale years ago). I also had an ex-Seattle Seahawk on the "down stairs" side. Doctor said I cracked my femur doing power squats one step at a time and that I'm not 30 any more. News to me :0). Whatever; ya'll be careful out there.

When I had my safe installed, the guy had an electric hand truck. It had a big screw drive; he raised and lowered the safe independent of the wheels.

[This message has been edited by Ewok (edited July 25, 1999).]

I like 'em. Not that I have one for my personal steel cabinet (haven't ponied up for the safe yet...); I use silica gel desicant blocks. But my friends use 'em, and love them, as they don't have to be replaced like Silica gel does. I've seen them in the Dillon catalogue (800 223-4570; I love that number!), and in the Brownells', I think. Probably someplace they're cheaper. Seems to me they go for about $40?

I personally have seen one of my *stainless* arms get some rust in my cabinet, so this is an issue for me.

Long Path, you don't have to replace the silica gel, just put it in the oven for a while at low heat (150 degrees) and it dries out and is ready to use again. It does'nt wear out.
b

Congratulations on your purchase. You'll sleep and feel more comfortable about leaving home knowing that your children will be there when you return. By the way, what was your combination? I forgot.... ;)

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

FYI,

I had a problem with getting a safe to where I needed it. The solution was a modular safe that can be assembled on the spot from pieces that can be handled easily by two men and, in a pinch, by one. It's a great idea.

For moving, the safe can be emptied and then disassembled. The only drawback is that the modular construction makes fireproofing impossible.

These are made by an outfit called Zanotti,
123 W. Lone Tree Road, Cedar Falls, IA 50613, (319) 232-9650.

Jim

Very nifty on the modular safe concept; dunno why I've never heard of anyone doing it. Shouldn't necessarily be any less secure.

4V50 Gary: You said:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>You'll sleep and feel more comfortable about leaving home knowing that your children will be there when you return.[/quote]

For all that I'll be worried about, my kids getting into the guns won't be a real big issue.

Proper teaching makes that a pretty much moot point. Let your child be pretty much bored to death by your guns, by virtue of the knowledge that he can touch them any time he wants with adult supervision. Also, to merely touch a gun without the aforementioned supervision = something dire, like a big spanking and a grounding and bed without supper.

Dad was a gun nut cop, and guns were around on every shelf, and my brother and I had not the slightest inclination to handle the guns. Now, of course, I've got the bug (brother did not), and my father is my closest and dearest shooting buddy. But I'm MUCH more afraid of what my daughters' friends are going to be like around my guns than SHE will be, because we're going to use the above technique. Of course, this means some restrictions on where the little friends can go in the house, and when.

The MAIN reason I'll lock them up is to stop the real crooks from taking them. If it was just a kiddo thing, my sheet-steel locking cabinet would be PLENTY. Someday I'll get that safe.

Right now, I'm just proud and pleased the NRA has a gun-owner's policy. If you haven't checked that one out, you ought to. Just do yourself the favor of shooting a picture of each gun and writing the serial number of it on the back of each photo, for documentation. (You don't have to register your serial numbers or type of guns with the London insurance firm the NRA uses.)

------------------
If you're *not* a member of the NRA, what *are* you doing to protect your rights to enjoy yourself on this Bulletin Board?
Do SOMETHING!

Yeah, forgive my cynicism -- safes are wonderful!!!

It's 7.10 p.m. Monday night right now -- I'm typing this and I can see my two rifles sitting on the lounge in the family room, waiting my ministrations ;)

BUT ... if there's a knock on the door and it's the police to check on my storage, I could lose all my firearms because they're not locked in the safe.

(Someone breaking in -- hang on, I'll run downstairs, get the key, open both locks on the safe, open the padlock inside, get the bolt, assemble the gun, get the ammo, load it ... whaddya mean you've already raped my daughters??? That can't be right!!)

B

Congratulations on getting a safe. After some 50 years of gun ownership, I bought one last year and am very happy with it. Not only does it hold all my guns but also important papers and jewelry. I feel much safer since some of my guns are really not replaceable. Home defense guns are not in the safe except when we are camping or otherwise gone for more than a day. Interestingly enough, it was delivered ($250 and well worth it) at almost 800 pounds, by TWO moderately muscular guys in an ancient Bronco and didn't have to be taken up or down stairs. They used pipes of about two inches diameter as rollers and didn't scratch a thing moving it. You will like that safe and feel better about owning it the longer you have it.
Incidentally, the NRA not only insures the first $1000 of your guns, but gives you access to extended coverage over that and you don't have to list your guns covered. All at very reasonable rates.
------------------
OJ

[This message has been edited by OJ (edited July 26, 1999).]

You don't need to secure guns from people who know how to use them, but from people who do not. A true story:

I went to college as a day student but had a friend who lived in the dorm. There were no rules (then) against having guns in one's room, and this fellow had a Colt Woodsman. One day he and I were getting ready to go out, and he had (foolishly) loaded the Colt mag, and put it in the gun. Just then a wierdo from New York City came in, saw the gun and grabbed it, shouting, "Look everybody, I've got a gun, I've got a gun!" He ran down the hallway, working the slide and throwing .22 cartridges all over the place. Thank heavens he didn't know enough to pull the trigger.

We practically had to bludgeon him to get the gun away, as he kept on yelling about having a gun and screaming that he always wanted a gun to kill his enemies (imaginary, we thought). Typical New Yorker, apparently. Anyway, the administration never found out about the incident, but after that I kept my friend's pistol at my house.

Jim

Jim

By children I meant the guns and not der kinder/rug rats/little ones.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Gary:Thanks for clearing up the children reference.
One of the main reasons I purchased a safe instead of just one of the metal filing cabinets with a lock was my concern over theft. After reading the "Are you proud to be a gun owner" thread, I thought about a lot of my own actions. Being mainly a handgunner until a couple of months ago, I didn't give much thought to carrying my guns out to the car to transport them to the range. My usual practice is to put them into a Doskocil plastic carry case, then put 3 or 4 of them into a gym bag. Any one eyeing me carry the bag out to the car wouldn't think twice about the contents. The shotguns and rifles on the other hand posed a problem. There is no way short of a golf bag to hide what is being carried. I thought about a golf bag to use to conceal the shotguns/longarms inside. The more I tought about it, the more PO'ed I became. NO!!! GOD DAMM*T I will not hide what I consider a clean decent hobby for fear that some POS will break in and steal what is mine, and fuel the anti fires. While I still somewhat disagree with the proud owner concept, I am definately not ashamed of what I do, and I refuse to give the impression that I am. Paying close to $900.00 for a real safe was not my idea of a fun purchase, but then again buying insurance isn't a lot of fun either. After getting the safe home and living to tell the tale of the *350 pound attacking metal monster that took on a mind of it's own and tried to kill me by a cowardly attack on the way down the stairs*( I learned later that the door comes off and the safe is lighter then :( ), I did discover it is fun to spin the combo wheel and throw the handle. I have no kids at home, other than the occasional visit of my 2 nephews, bit af which are over 18, so the thought of family getting ahold of a loaded gun was not a concern. Now I can load the trunk up with rifles, shotguns, whatever I want, without a thought as to who may be takeing notice. It feels good. Thanks for the tip about the pictures, I will take some and id them well just in case.

------------------

Bruce: I understand your view. Fortunatly for us here in the States, for the time being anyhow, we do have a small measure of protection from unreasonable search and seizure, self incrimination and visits in the night. Like all the others here, it is my fervant desire to maintain such, but it is being taken away at an alarming rate. 25 years ago, I used to keep a loaded 30-30 in the corner of the living room, never locked my doors, and never worried about anyone, my 2 toddlers included, getting into it. The kids knew what it was, and that it wasn't a toy. They also respected all my other property, as well as the neighbors property. Times have changed, and not for the better. I live in a much better neighborhood now than I did then, but I now lock my doors and throw a deadbolt just to be sure. When I'm not with them, my guns are locked up now. In my case, the ironic thing about getting a safe, is that I now carry a shotgun and ammo in the trunk of the car. I don't like the tought of walking into the house to find someone waiting for me to open the safe for them. Prior to this, I figured if they got in, got into the locked bedroom, and managed to find the guns, they would leave before I/we got home. From what I have read about OZ and such, you are not being a cynic, you are being realistic, and a voice of warning to what could happen here.

OJ: Thanks for the tip on the NRA insurance. I will sign up for the coverage. Beats the $hit out of giving money to Allstate, especially since the good hands people want to get those good hands on my guns. ;)

------------------

4V50 Gary: OOPS!! Um, sorry about the rant! :)

Hal: I absolutely agree. I had a friend come over to show me his new M94 Trapper recently, and had the cops on the step checking out a "Man with a gun" call about 4 minutes later. Now, my friend walked the rifle from his car on the curb to my front door across my yard, a straight shot of maybe 50 feet, and waited by the front door for... what? 15 seconds? while I answered the door. I thanked the officers for being vigilant in our neighborhood, and showed them my friend's carbine, and said goodbye. They stopped before leaving to admonish my friend to get a case for the carbine, so as not to incite alarm. I smiled and mentioned that he had, of course, not brandished the arm in a manner intenionally calculated to cause alarm (Texas' test for Disorderly conduct, where weapons are concerned.). They furrowed their brow and repeated that he needed to cover his gun.

Mark me for a coward; I smiled, thanked them, and shut the door.

The more I think of that, however, the more I get a little p!ssed off. I agree that Ben should carry the carbine along his leg, not muzzle-up at port arms, but come on!

It is because I'm NOT willing to camouflage completely that I am a gun-owner that I have a locking steel cabinet, and will soon own another. My newest interest is in the bedside spring-loaded drawer-safes that use a hand-print combo-lock. With that, the Gold Cup can be a primary battery bedside piece, instead of an old Model 10.

Back