I have another idea. Do you guys think it is viable.

Correia

A while ago I got some valuable input from some of the members here about a gun part that I had thought up (special AR15 float tube with extra goodies). We are currently working on a prototype. The project got bogged down over the holidays but hopefully in the next few months we will see something actually built.

In the meantime I have come up with another idea, and I just want your opinions about how functional it would be. I got the idea while watching the history channel showing how lever actions were the N. American gun of last century. I got to thinking, it has been a long time since there has been any real progress on the lever action, well except the BLR. So what about a compleatly new style lever gun. This is what I'm thinking:

1. Straight-line, Bull Pup construction. (action in the stock). Magazine fed.

2. Steeply sloped pistol grip, with lever.

3. Modular construction, allowing bolt, barrel, and mag to be changed from one caliber to another. Kind of like the Blaser R93. One rifle for anything, with barrels from varmit to bear.

4. Have a mag well allowing the .308 version to take metric FAL magazines, and a .223 that with take AR15 mags.

5. The main body would be two parts, an upper receiver and a lower, both made out of a high strength polymer for light weight. Scope would be mounted on the upper receiver. Barrel would only touch the action, and would float through the body.

6. The action would work kind of like a straight pull bolt action, only the bolt would ride on rails geared to the lever. The lock up could be made very strong.

I think that this could be one really versitle rifle, by being modular any cartridges up to a certain maximum length would be ok. By being manually operated, a wide range of power levels could be used. You could buy one rifle, and then gradually buy more barrels for whatever you want to play with. Kind of like a TC contender from hell.

Sure the lever action has always been kind of a nostalgic gun, but I see no reason why it couldn't work fine in an ultra modern weapon. I've hunted with Winchesters and Marlins, and find the lever to be much quicker to use than a bolt gun.

Your opinions are appreciated. :)

On the basic action, I think Sako did something like that a while back, but without much success. Of course, that was otherwise a conventional rifle, a lot like the Winchester 88.

Jim

for a bullpup configuration, I think a pump action makes more sense. that way the pistol grip area can be more ergonomic. the only advantages to a lever action is that they are easier to operate one-handed, and that they shorten the mechanical path from the power source to the bolt carrier in a conventional layout. for a bullpup, there has to be a long actuating rod anyways, why not run it to the foreend.

Ivanhoe, I was thinking lever because it would be easier to use while shooting prone or from a bipod. Though a pump is an option. (currently use a Pump 30-06 Remington for deer, it works well also). Mechanically either action would work. Since it will basically be a straight pull rotating bolt attached to an op rod, either one would work, it would just depend on what more people wanted. Thanks.

My problem with bullpups is I shoot lefty, like about 15 percent of shooters do. Unless you can make it top or bottom eject, which runs into all sorts of related problems, us lefties are out of the picture.

There is a pump action combo rifle currently on the market with a selector switch between .223 rifle and 12G Shotgun.
Both are clip fed (12G-4 round) and standard AR Mags for .223.

I am trying to remember the name, and I know you can see it on a web site.
It escapes me now.
But it incorporates alot of what you are going for.....but utilising a pump action.

My vote is for PUMP...seperating the trigger group from the action cycling, prevents many problems in a combat weapon.

Any object that can come between the lever group,( piece of clothing,equipment,debris will prevent lever from closing, and trigger unit from engaging hammer release.

NOT a good thing. If you have ever used a lever like the browning BLR if it is not completely closed it wont fire.

Old Winchester type levers were the lever is seprate from the trigger has problems with pinching and brakege.

YES , you could probably design a lever action to eliminate these problems.

But a short stroke, slicked up, new aproach to pump action in a combat rifle would be even better.

Just my opinon....WOLF

If I remeber the name of that rifle I will edit my post.

Wolf
The name of the weapon is the Crossfire. Use the link at the top of the page to access Security Arms website then go to the C listings.

I'm familiar with the crossfire. But I'm thinking something more in the line of a light weight size effecient rifle, with changable barrels. I wasn't really thinking about a combat gun, though I guess the 20 rounds of .308 would be pretty darn effective, with a 20 inch bullpup barrel.

Sounds like a pump would be a lot more efficient. Especially if it was convertible to a straight pull bolt, for bench use. I just like levers, but if it's compleatly modular, then there is no reason that all three manual actions couldn't be options.

Ipecac, I was actually thinking about having the bolt reversible for left handers, like the Tavor. So you could have left hand ejection.

I don't know I just thought that it would be really cool to buy a basic rifle, and then spend a little more money (less than the cost of a new rifle) and have an entirely different setup. You know, have your regular gun, and then slap the .338 barrel on when you head to Alaska. :)

Back