I have an idea, is it viable?

Correia

I was looking at a Steyer catalog the other day and thinking about the integral bipod on the scout, and thinking that it seemed like a good idea, not nearly as bulky as something like a harris bipod.

Then I started thinking, would it be possible to make a free float handguard for an AR15 with an integral Steyer type bipod that fit into the handguard. And could the top of the float tube have a rail for mounting a scout type forward scope? (on a flat top of course) and to top it off, there could be a tac light mounted on the left side of the float tube. (kind of like the new surefire set up) Manufacturing wise, it couldn't be to awfully expensive to make. I'm sure it could be done a lot cheaper than the surefire system goes for with just the light.

What do you guys think? Is this viable, and would you buy one if somebody made it? It just seems like it could be a really versitile all purpose rifle, its like all the accesories that people can buy for an AR in one part. Heck you could make and AR10 version and have a "MacDaddy Scout".

I don't see why not. You could mill and countour a couple of chanels on the sides of an aluminium free-float tube. You might also consider having the bipod legs pivot from the rear of the handguard, like a G3 heavy bipod, instead of from the front.

Let me know if you go into production with this idea. Make sure that I can fit it on my Stoner SR-25M.

DblTap

------------------
"...What will you do without freedom? Will you fight?... Fight, and you may die, run and you'll live, at least a while. And dying, many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that, for just one chance, one chance, to tell our enemies, that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!!!"

[This message has been edited by DblTap (edited November 10, 1999).]

I think you could make something like this. What the market would be, who knows?

I seem to remember seeing a FAL or similar with a steel forend that folded down into a bipod. Anybody remember?

------------------
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel!

BG makes a good point-- what would the market be?

So you'd want it to be very tough, and very light, and very compact. Accomplish this, and you'd have a seller for a lot of AR guys who want a practical carbine. The RaceGun guys wouldn't buy it, but they decidedly don't want a rifle that is all things to all people-- they want specialized. But if you could come up with a forearm that, like the Steyer Scout's, is inobtrusive when not in use, adds no noticable amount of weight to the fore end, and was tough enough not to break without babying, AND was extremely easy in deployment, you'd have yourself a winner.

Tall order. Get to work! :)

L.P.

The Austrian version of the FAL, the STG-58, has a bipod that folds into the handguards and becomes almost invisible. Unfortunately, it clamps onto the barrel and may effect accuracy to some degree.

HK's using the wide forearm have the option of attaching a bipod to the forearm (there's a channel in the front for this purpose) that also folds into the forearm/handguard.

I will be checking on the feasability of making a prototype over the next couple days.

Once (or if I ever) have a prototype, I'll post pictures here to get some of you guys input. It may not happen any time soon though, you might say that I have a lack of capital.

As far as the market is concerned, I have no idea.

Correia - this sounds like a very good idea.
I like it. In fact - I could see my self buying this.

When you get this proto type made - let me know - I would like to see it. This sounds like one of the better ideas out there.
Certainly better than my Mighty Lemming Scout concept.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

As a point of reference, I'd take a look at the different AR15 rail accessory/interface systems available from FN and Knight Armament Company. Perhaps you could build the bipod/handguard as an add-on to the Knight RIS?

My worry would be that a bipod built into a carbine-length forearm would not have enough ground clearance for the magazine, even with a 20rd mag installed.

If it was extendable it would not be too much of a problem.
Besides - I dont think anyone would expect to bench out with a 30 rounder in the well. I mean - what else are the 20 round mags for?

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Now it may be a good idea, but nothing tops the mighty lemming scout. :)

Here's the plan so far, I have a friend who is a lot more mechanically inclined than I am, and he works at a local manufacturing plant. One of his friends there is a retired machinist and gunsmith. My friend is talking to him to get an idea of cost on the parts and machine time.

As far as the Knight RIS I hadn't thought about that.

In response to Destructo6, I'm planning on having the bipod be attachable either way, from the front or from the rear. And have it still fit flush when folded.

Now for the carbine length handguards, I was thinking of making the legs telescope, like on a camera tripod. The main thing I'm looking for here is handiness. On carbines with a shaved front sight base, I was thinking about making the tube full length, so it would go over the gas tube, Dissipator style. And have a shorter tube for carbines with the front sight (with the telescoping legs).

The plan for now for mounting a light on it, is to figure out which pistol light mount is the most popular, (HK utl, Surefire, Millenium) and then just cut a rail along the side shaped like the dustcover of that pistol. So there would already be lights out there availible.

The final worry that I had was getting the rail on top level, given that usually the float tube is just cranked on there so it will stay snug, but I think that we have come up with a really good idea for that, but its kind of tricky so I didn't want to talk about it yet.

Does anybody know if the AR10 and SR25 have the same size threads for the tube as an AR15, and amongst them are there differences amongst the different manufacturers?

George, When or if we get this built, since you aren't too far away, we will have to have you come up and test it out.

Thanks for helping me shape this idea.

Back