I have a size question about .45 and .38 ammo.

groverdill

New shooter question alert! :eek: There's a belt I'm considering buying that has cartridge loops built into it. The description says the loops will accommodate .45 caliper cartridges. My question is will .38 caliper cartridges also fit? Or is the diameter of the two too far apart? Thanks.

Mike:)

If elastic they may stretch to accommodate up to 45 caliper... I mean caliber. But if leather then the 38s will likely fall through.

Oh. Caliber. Heh, rookie mistake. OK, thanks guys. The belt in question is leather so I guess it won't work for .38's. If you're interested in seeing the one I was considering, it's on the NRA website in the online store.

Mike:)

They'll be too loose, and probably fall thru. See if you can find the same belt with loops for a .38 (or .357)

It won't work - I do leather work as a hobby. The 38 and the 45 cartridges are two different diameters. Even with a rim - the 38 will not work - and yes, the 38 and 45 Colt are both straight sided casings "with rims".

To the OP - if you are looking for a cartridge belt that will work for 38 / 357 cartridges - do a google for "leather cartridge belts 38 spl" - it should bring up some results. Many sporting goods stores sell leather carridge belts and there are lots of holster/cartridge belt companies out there as well. Good luck in your hunt! :)

If .38s were the same diameter as .45s, they'd be called .45s, instead of .38s. :p
Sorry, couldn't help myself.
Gotta' be a smart-arse at least once a day, or I can't sleep at night.

There are cartridge belts in which the cartridge loops are laced in and out of slots in the belt, with the loops formed from a solid strip of leather, with the end tabs placed so that the loops can be adjusted for cartridges from .38 Special up to .45 Colt. These are very practical as often times stitched loops stretch and loosen over time.

Such belts are usually two ply with the tabs sandwiched between the plies.

Bob Wright

Back