I have a question

kendall

Inactive
I'm extremely new to this website and to be perfectly honest, I know nothing about guns. But I have a question about registration/legality of ownership of a Mac-10(I think that is how it is spelled)? I have been trying to search online to see if it is legal to own one, or be in possession of one and how to find out if the gun in question is in fact registered. I am at a dead end and I thought someone on this site might know.

kendall I'm extremely new to this website and to be perfectly honest, I know nothing about guns. But I have a question about registration/legality of ownership of a Mac-10(I think that is how it is spelled)? I have been trying to search online to see if it is legal to own one, or be in possession of one and how to find out if the gun in question is in fact registered. I am at a dead end and I thought someone on this site might know.

Where do you live?
It's hard to give anything close to an accurate answer without knowing your state of residence.

Is this MAC10 fully automatic or a semiautomatic?
If semi, in a pistol version, it would be treated just like any handgun. If it has a stock with at least a 16" barrel it would be treated just like any rifle.

If fully automatic, Federal law allows the possession and use of fully automatic firearms such as the MAC10 if the owner holds a Federal tax stamp. Commerce in NFA (National Firearms Act) weapons is highly controlled, only licensed gun dealers with a Special Occupational Tax certificate may deal in those firearms.

If you are looking for information on whether a particular MAC10 is "registered":
1. There is no national gun registration.
2. ATF maintains a registry of NFA firearms, but may not respond to you as NFA tax stamp information is as confidential as your income tax return.
3. Some states do have their own firearm registration.
4. Most importantly, the current owner should know the status of his firearm and if it is "registered" or requires a stamp.

If it's a real M10 that's full auto it's a NFA gun and you need a special tax stamp to own it. Others on this sight know more about that than I do and will be happy to drop some science on you.

If it's a semi-auto like the Master Piece Arms MPA-10 it's completely legal to own, assuming it's not stolen and it doesn't violate your state laws.

Not to be nosy but why do you ask?

Last edited:
Owning an NFA item (machine gun, suppressor, short barreled firearm, etc) requires a Tax Stamp, NOT a license. Licenses are for dealing in them commercially.

If is is fully automatic, it falls under the NFA. You would need to check if your state allows NFA machine-guns, and if you/they have the proper tax stamp. If so, things should be good, barring unseen circumstances.

Back