I have a new Manurhin MR-73 and...

AbitNutzToo

Inactive
I have a new Manurhin MR-73 6" Sport. I have to tell you it's as beautiful and well finished as they say. It's also as accurate as you've heard. The one thing that surprised me is that it's lighter than I expected and with full house 357 magnum loads it has more than a fair amount of muzzle flip. It's quite a bit lighter than a Colt Python and with those heavy loads, it is less controllable.

I have a Python that I had Mag-na-port do their magic on. It was indeed magic. I could not believe how much difference those two little ports made until I shot my ported Python back to back with my buddy's unported Python. The difference was dramatic. The muzzle flip was shockingly less and follow-up shots were much quicker.

Mag-na-port did a fantastic job on my Python. The ports were almost invisible and the finish around the ports was completely unmolested. After that, I had several other revolvers and an automatic ported by Mag-na-port with identical results.

This revolver would definitely benefit by having it Mag-na-ported. As it is now, with full power loads, rapid-fire is not really possible.
What do you folks think?

First of all, congratulations on your acquisition. Do show some pics

I’ve had one for 13 years and absolutely love it, and it’s very durable too. I recently bought the .38 spl match version

ce83636ce44590df59fddb65a8324553.jpg

As to Mag na porting it, if you’re happy with your previous experiences, by all means go for it. And you’ll have a unique gun. Personally I prefer to leave them unmodified and I don’t mind recoil, it’s part of the magnum experience for me.

Unless it is for range. I wouldn't port a revolver myself.

Anything back of the first port is the true velocity barrel length and the risk of 357 magnum gases hitting your face.

Maybe on a 6" range only gun?

Only example I have is a Taurus 627 Tracker 4" with Taurus's ports. The recoil of their K frame like benefits from the ports, but not much else. I didn't like it for the ports and sold it.

Post up pics of the new revolver if you can. I think we'd all enjoy it.

Congrats on your new MR73. I also love mine.

I would suggest you keep your new revolver with all the original shipped paperwork, case, parts and other components.

Last edited:
Exactly the same as lamarw stated. Keep it original. This is THE Picasso of revolvers and should not be altered in any way. And don't let anyone touch it, unless it's your brother who bought you 2 boxes of 357 just so he could shoot it.

At the end of the day, it is your revolver. If it works better for you, Magnaport is highly recognized and respected. Always top drawer work.
Even a Picasso benefits with a great frame. The MR73 is a grail gun, but not an irreplaceable piece of history. Were it mine and that was important to me, it's done. Glock, I like them, but Perfection? Naah. Can't make a product perfect for every owner, but the owner can.

Do you plan to keep it for the rest of your days and shoot it regularly?
Port it and get comfortable.
Consider it an investment to retire on?
Leave it stock.

Ze French Foreign Legion opens fire at 700 metres.
Ze GIGN shoots beaucoup Magnums.

One of the things that bugs me these days is shipping a handgun. You'd think that I was sending nuclear waste. If I ship a handgun myself, I can only use FedEx, and it has to be overnight. That ends up being about $150.00 each way. The cost of Mag-na-porting is $99.50.

OK, but FedEx not only rapes you but they're morons. They're just as likely to send the gun to mars. I have an FFL I'm good friends with and I'd likely ship it through him. That way I can ship it USPS....and yes, I trust the USPS more than FedEx. However, I found another way.

Mag-na-port is in Harrison TWP Michigan, which is about 3-1/2 hours from me. I called them and I can make an appointment and they'll do it while I wait. It'll take about two hours. They even arranged to do it this Saturday to fit my schedule. Friends, a deal like that I can't turn down. I'll buzz up there on a quick road trip.

If it was a bit warmer I'd take my bike, a sweat 2022 BMW R1250 RT but as it is I think my wife's usual sunny personality would disappear at some point.

It's always risky carrying a gun while riding a bike. You tend to get pulled over more often on a bike, at least I do. Having a gun then becomes a "thing". I still carry it anyway. I always make sure I have the proper paperwork for me, the bike, and the gun, on me. Otherwise, I may end up a guest of the state for the evening. Ask me how I know. The last time I may have poked the bear a bit. I was wearing a sweatshirt that read. " When seconds count, the Police are minutes away".

While I believe it’s your gun, do what you like with it and enjoy it, personally I’d have a hard time modifying a gun that nice and that expensive.

I get what you're saying. I am taking a chance that it will detract from the value of the gun. However, I do shoot my guns and this is not a "safe queen". Having it ported gives so many benefits that I just can't not do it.

Interestingly enough, according to the manager, this is not the first MR73 they've done. They are well aware of this revolver and its value.

It's really interesting how recoil can be subjective. I have a pair of 4 inch Pythons, one stock and one magnaported... and I can't tell them apart if I don't look at the ports.

Realy? I find that incredible. Mine and my buddy's Pythons are both 6" and they're dramatically different, his being unported and mine being ported. An observer can stand there and see the difference when the guns are fired.

I'm afraid that you may not understand the EDM process. It's like a surgical knife. The finish is never marred, marked, harmed, or touched in any way. I had it done Saturday. The owner did it himself and it took 1-1/2 while my while ran around a bit and had lunch. It came out as expected, perfect.

No. The hole into the carbon steel would have to have a anti corrosive material put on. I'm not saying they put it in a vice grip while drilling with a Ryobi :)

Well, I get the point you may be trying to make. However, think about it. If there was anti-corrosion anything in the barrel or forcing cone of that revolver when a 357 Magnum gets blown out of it in excess of 50,000 psi, it will be worn away too. The way we keep rust and corrosion out of the barrel and the new ports is by maintenance, proper cleaning, and oiling.

Cutting ports in the barrel will not in any way contribute to the destruction of the finish of this revolver. Mag-na-port is a long-time, reputable, respectable company. I've had my Python ported and two others and the Python's been good for the last 35 years.

Oh. I'm just sour grapes on the MR73 and their mythical reputation. Not really on the porting. Even know that Mag-na-Port has chambers vs just a straight drill bit through and through.

Only thing I contribute is wanting to see pics. Price makes me roll my eyes, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the view :D

Last edited:
I bought a Gendarmie 5 1/4" model last year. It has less than 500 rounds through it so far, as it shares .357 range time with a Dan Wesson M15 and the voracious Coonan Classic. The MR73 is still breaking in, so I'm hoping a few hundred more rounds may convince it to like the common handload the other two shoot decently. A CZ TSO took over 500 shots to stop throwing flyers, so I'll just be patient. The French factory trigger is perfectly acceptable as delivered, thus I will not mess with the adjustments (SA, DA, and hammer force).

Back