I have a legal question I was hoping I could get some second opinions on . . .?

Aqeous

Plain and simple, and with out getting into a great deal of specifics. I have a relative that may or may not (still not sure yet) be staying with me for a while. When I say a "while" I mean until I help him get back on his feet again which (lets face it) can really take a while. :rolleyes: But what can a guy do . . . ?

My question is this:

I am a proud gun owner. I've got them, I shoot them, I love them. My relative, we'll he has 1 felony charge on his record. (I live in the state of Florida by the way.) Now, as far as I know, a felon is not allowed to buy or have access to a firearm of any kind. So, where does that leave me if he decides he has no other option and I offer my hospitality? Can I get into legal trouble for having my firearms in the same household as a felon?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated . . .

I'm not a Lawyer but if your state law says he can not have access to the firearms I would think that you locking them up in a safe that he has no access to would be the best way to KYA.

I would also suggest you consult an attorney--not sure about Florida law, but in PA for example, he would not be allowed in the house as a resident if it contained a firearm so either the firearms would have to go or he would not be able to stay there----locked in safe or not.
You both would probably be at fault if you kept the firearms and invited him to stay with you.

Dipper

If you do not already own one, get a safe.

When any of your firearms is not under your conscious control, lock it in the safe. No exceptions.

Never hand him your keychain for any reason whatsoever.

Consult a lawyer -- I'm not one, don't play one on the internet even.

I do believe locking your guns up where he cannot have access is simply the Right Thing To Do, regardless of whatever other legal considerations you might encounter. This holds true whether he moves in with you or simply visits from time to time.

pax

Back