I hate stippling

I think stippling on handguns is one of the worst current trends. It seems the more aggressive the stippling is the more the gun is praised by mall ninjas.

It's hard to get away from at this point. I have a new shield 2.0 now with EXTRA stippling! Even the extended magazines has EXTRA stippling!

I want it gone but without permanently sanding it off. I put a rubber wrap on the grip but I can't get it all. I was thinking of using some hot wax or a crayon.

Any ideas on ridding myself of this stuff?

I tend to like stippling. I don’t know if it’s as much a mall ninja thing as you think. If anything I think it’s a crossover from the competition world. I’ve known USPSA shooters that will remold grips with silicon carbide. If you think the M&P is aggressive, trust me when I tell you that some people almost go to the level of making themselves bleed to get more grip.

In the past people have suggested using sand paper to tone down the M&P texture. If you don’t want to permanently alter it, then maybe apply some Talon Grips. Their rubber texture is pretty tame and should cover the area you’ll contact with your hand.

Grip tape seems to work better than even "good" texture... but will the residue left in super rough texture (I am blanking on the technical name texture like on the 20) going to be like permanent? Don't know.

Most of the gun oriented tapes don’t actually leave that much residue behind. If there is some, use a stiff bristled nylon brush and that should get it out (even if you don’t use tape, that texture will fill with skin anyway, and the brush works on that, too).

Last edited:
Tape will work, though its not permanent.

Stippling is the cheap way to get most of the advantage of checkering, without the effort and cost and skill needed to do checkering properly.

Its something the "gun should be locked in your hand" crowd think important, but I don't, I much prefer a grip for that, not roughing up the frame.

One thing I detest is putting a "cheese grater" on my gun where I put my hands. I have shot guns with grip checkering (including on the backstrap) that needed a wrap of tape to prevent discomfort or actual injury.

Also, I won't have either stippling or checkering on my guns that recoil more than typical .45acp or 9mm levels, unless it is part of the rubber grips. THEN its useful and not painful.

I think stippling on handguns is one of the worst current trends. It seems the more aggressive the stippling is the more the gun is praised by mall ninjas.

It's hard to get away from at this point. I have a new shield 2.0 now with EXTRA stippling! Even the extended magazines has EXTRA stippling!

I want it gone but without permanently sanding it off. I put a rubber wrap on the grip but I can't get it all. I was thinking of using some hot wax or a crayon.

Any ideas on ridding myself of this stuff?

Is this factory stippling, or Bubba's amateur job?

Talon grip wrap, or similar? That way you don't screw up potential resale value.

Just take some sand paper lightly sand the high spots til they are comfortable
I really hate how the plastic guns are so slick. I found how to fix it. Leave the plastic at home sidey 1911

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Is this factory stippling, or Bubba's amateur job?

This is the way they come now. I get the competition thing, but these are carry guns that make contact with our delicate muffin tops.

I can't believe the engineers who tested this thing inside the waste band said "yeah this is fine".

ha! i thought "cheese grater grips" originated from the USP. Those squares when moved up and down...ouch

Ohh the front strap and back strap, I get it now.

I feel like one advancement over the years has been more effective texturing that isn’t as abrasive. A number of companies seem to have figured that out. I like the Springfield Hellcat/Echelon/Prodigy and the Walther PDP. They don’t slip, but they don’t bite as much as the S&W 2.0.

I think the new Smith’s feel great, but then I have used my hands for mechanic and welding work for the last 40 years.
My cousin has a USP and I thought it felt fine. As far as the latest trends, I can live without all the slots milled through the slides.
Get some fine sandpaper and slowly massage your grip areas but be careful, you don’t want to raise any blisters ;)
Don’t mall ninjas wear gloves with the fingers cut off? No wonder the they like all those sharp bumps.
And those engineers were some skinny buggers. Us plus size beauties need to wear a long tee shirt tucked in underneath to prevent blood loss.

Last edited:
Agreed. As much as I like the Walther Q SF triangles being the best checkering, it can still be slick.

The 2.0 is most aggressive I can think of. I don't like that design because it fills up with skin and hurts. Not skin or dad bod approved.

The Strike One Ergal model with no texture seems really lazy...but if you're in the camp that Talon tape or whatever is best, it's kinda the best world design. https://americanprecisionfirearms.com/product/af-1-ergal-pro/

Back