i hate my wheelgun

Jesse H

charter arms .38 special "undercover" short little bbl. Recently got some pachmeyer grips put on and headed out to the range yesterday.

Um...what's a grouping?

That's enough ranting for me, I'll go back out there and master this thing later.

snubs take a lot of work to master.I have a S&W 36(old) that took me a while to learn to shoot well.Take your time and it will come and when it does you can be real proud of what you have mastered.

My SW342PD has proved to be as accurate in my hands as my old Glock 26. The DA trigger pull, sight radius, and type of sights does take a little bit more practice (and recoil control on the 10.8 oz. handgun).

Hang in there Jesse.

Like beemerb said, it takes a little work to master a snubby, but it is worth the effort.

Don't get discouraged. Do lots of dry fire practice and then hit the range again. Repeat as needed.

Doc Hudson

I will second the above posts. The first time that I took out my 3" .44 mag snubbie, I was embarassed. Was with my usual shooting partner and he has mastered his .45 ACP Glock, so I was sure that this new wheelgun was a peice of crap and not accurate. WRONGO! The next session was better. And it has gotten much better ever since. The first time I was lucky to get one hit on the target out of an entire cylinder of rounds. Now I can nail the target with every one and several bullseyes to boot. And yes, dry firing helps to smooth things out a lot. Especially with DAO revolvers. I have learned a trick with my DAO that helps me keep her steady much better. I pull the trigger slowly until the hammer is about to spring back. Then while holding her steady on bullseye, I release. I have gotten smooth and quick with this. The first time that I tried to shoot a cylinder full of .44 mag rounds in quick DAO mode, the accuracy was BAD. I can do it now and do it accuarately. Just some thoughts FWIW...

Practice. When you go to a longer barrel, it will seem easy. With a snubbie, any problems with the gun or shooter are magnified. A pretty good shot with a 6" becomes a miss with a 2".
Back in the 50's there was some hustler who went around to the bullseye matches betting people he could out shoot them and their 6" target pistols, with a Colt Detective Special 2". To make it 'harder' for him he would shoot the Dick DOUBLE ACTION only. This guy won a ton of money. Most people don't know that short barrels can shoot just as well as a longer one. What makes snubs hard to shoot is the short sight radius, and small grips. Things like a rough trigger pull are magnified.
The hustler knew all this and selected a really accurate gun, made sure it was sighted to 50 yards, and tuned it to prefection. He then probably burned a ton of ammo in practice.

It's amazing how easy it is to miss with a small snub, even at 10 feet. Especially an Airweight. I say this a lot. But if I manage to hold the front sight on the target, I quit missing. Hang in there. It feels great when you get accurate and smooth...which unfortunately doesn't last. You have to practice all the time. L

awesome

man I love this forum!

I always tell people at automotive forums I frequent that they should be more like gun forums (folks are so much nicer) :)

Anyways I feel much better now. Since this past summer when I started shooting, I always brought my targets home, wrote notes on them...this past time I trashed it. Haha.

I'll work at it...I appreciate the encouraging replies. Hopefully next time I'll be able to say I got better than a 9" group at 10'. :)

The first wheelgun I ever shot was a S&W Performance Center model 13, it had boot grips and four ports on the 3" barrel which were trapezoidal like Magnaports, it also had a bobbed hammer...that was one smooth firearm! And the sad part is with the DA only trigger I could only get about a 10" group...so Jesse I can relate because I too really need to brush up my wheelgun skills

My first snubby was a S&W model 38 airweight Bodyguard in .38Spl. I was a fair shot with larger guns by then. I sat out a box at twenty to twenty five yards and banged away with the first cylinder full. Not a single round hit the box! Later I got so I could actually hit things with it, but not at first. Keep working on it. Start close up don't do what I did and start at 25 yards.

Back