I had my 3rd outing with the Mak today.

VictorLouis

I must now concur with all of the fuss on this board over this little wonder. Initally, I thought it smacked pretty hard; but then again, I've been having a touch of the carpal tunnel lately.

Make no mistake, it's not perfect. It slices me real good above the base knuckle of my thumb. The same sort of bite you can get from the Walther PP series, just in a different spot. The safety needs a good de-horning, and a good working in. My buddy's is smooth enough now that I didn't even need to press it up to de-cock with the tip of my thumb. Just a slight snick up with the first knuckle w/o having to shift my grip. What the Pearce grips lack in trimness, they make up for in easing the shootability of the gun. I think the 'stock' black plastic ones though would still be the better choice for CCW.

Unlike the Walther's, the Mak didn't EVER choak on feeding the next shot after binding down on my flesh. Accuracy was great, with the cheap ball coming in under 1.5" at 15yds. Dropping down to the 91gr(?) surplus ball helped in the 'smack' dept. That 109gr stuff nears 1,100fps! The 95gr Cor-Bon clocks right at 1050, as they claim, but it is much milder in felt recoil. I put the last 3rds of it I had into 2" at the 25yd. line today.:) Also ran through a box of Blazer topped with Gold Dots w/o any problems. They ran at 950fps avg., and of course were quite mild.

I collected at the office to buy one of these for my boss as a Christmas gift. It may be time for me to pick up a couple more myself.:)

Back