I guess I'm a better shot than I thought I was

bill k

I was bored and surfed the net wondering what everyones favorite phrase MOA ment. I was surprised when I found that MOA was a 1.047 in. group measured at 100 yards. I was even more surprised when I found the formula for measuring a group of shots. The distance between individual shots divided by the number of shots.
What I thought would be a 1 inch group would be measured .41. My question is, is this the correct way to measure a group or stick to my theory "if there's lead in the air there's hope"?

I don't understand the "divided by the number of shots" part? Regardless of how many holes there are to the group, you always measure the two holes that are most distant from each other, and always measure from the center of one to the center of the other, so as to take bullet diameter out of the equation.

Another tip I've heard that helps eliminate the diameter issue is to meausre outside edge to outside edge (in case the center of the holes are a bit challenging to find) then subtract the diameter from the measurement.

Just a thought.

I understand your confusion... what you're doing is actually looking at the accuracy of the gun in MOA. For example, if you have a 1" group of two shots, you want to divide by 2 in order to see the average distance from center.

In general, people just speak of groups as described by the other posts above.

Back