I got my Mini-thirty.....

CajunJedi

Inactive
but I am a little disgusted. I took it to shoot the day i bought it and the third time I pulled the trigger it misfired. The primer was hit, but not hard enough to fire. Since then, I have had quite a few episodes of this happenning.....along with an occasional round being jammed. I am using Russian HP 123 grain non corrosive ammo, and a USA Magazines 30 round mag. Both the gun and the mag were brand new.

Can anyone help?? What should I do?? Is it a problem with the gun or not??

Thanks a mil!

CajunJedi

CajunJedi:

My brother's 700 was misfiring and I disassembled the bolt and cleaned it. No problems after that. How clean was your weapon when you went to the range (should be pretty clean if its only test fired at the factory but I want to rule this one out).

There could be residue grease in the bolt which is impeding the forward movement of the firing pin, but your gun is kinda new for that. Is the weather real cold at the range?

Then again, check to ensure that your bolt is fully forward and locked up. If it isn't locked up, then built in safety (web of the receiver) is taking the brunt of the firing pin forward movement energy. It's a safety feature designed to keep the gun from firing if its not fully locked.

The slide (op-rod) could be bent and this could cause the bolt not to lock up. If it is, you'll have to return the gun to the factory for fitting a new slide.

Also, try a different brand of ammo. Those Rooskie primers may be extra hard, but Ruger generally tests its guns on everything that comes into this country to ensure that their guns will handle it and to detect flaws.

If all comes to worse, call Ruger Customer Services since their some of them attend their armorer school (and have a background in assembly). Yep, some Ruger women will trouble shoot over the phone.

Please keep us posted at TheFiringLine.

4v50 Gary

A good cleaning, especially the bolt, should solve the misfire problem. Be careful not to use too much oil as it can gum up and cause problems and turns plumb gooey in cold weather.

I had the same feed problems with USA mags. They seem to be a bit rough or too tight when they're new. After you use them a bit they'll loosen up and work fine.

I had a similar problem with an aftermarket mag on my Mini-14 Ranch.

I compared the factory mag to the AM mag, some judicious stoning work and it was fixed right up. But check the other's suggestions as well to rule out all possibilities.

I don't think it's a problem with the gun. I have a mini-30 and I get misfires with that same Russian ammo. Take a look at the primer and you'll see it is seated deeper than the primer on any other of you 7.62x39 ammo. I've never had a misfire with any other ammo in my mini-30. tim

Back